swing arm bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• swing arm bearings

I have a 1981 xs1100 ,that was a one owner ( who was 70+ years old when he sold the bike )from Alabama, I am in the process of getting her back on the road. I got her form a guy near the georgia fla. line above Jacksonville. Come to find out the bike was side the road a a moto-x shop for almost six months. the guy who owned her gave up on her and a cx500 honda. the cx had 89,000 miles on it and th XS had 7,000+ showing on speedo the bike looked like a 23 year old bike with that kind of mileage so I didn't question it. I found out when I got home and called the guy that basiclly pawned the bike it has 107,000+ miles on it with a rebuilt top end and new cluthes two years ago . Did I mention that the guy was in his seventies! wow he did alot of retirement riding.
    My question is would Yall ( South Ga. for You All) recommend pulling the swing arm and clean the bearings on the swing arm pivot. I have to change the rubber boot on the the back of the motor it is split about 1/2 inch. I figured yall would know if these are usually a prolbem to get the gap right or if it is a easy cleaning the old bearings and regreaseing them.I have greased sealed bearing several times in the passed at a honda shop I sold parts for three wheelers the bearings that honda sold wore out quickly and we discovered that if ya pop the side of the sealed bearing off and pack it with grease it lasted alot longer. Well I know I got wordy sorry my nature I guess.
    Thanks,
    Keith Wilson
    May God Bless thee and keep thee
    The Lord make his face shine upon thee, and be
    gracious unto thee.
    The Lord lift up his countenance upon thee, and
    give thee peace. (Num. 6:24-26)
    The Big Bald Guy,
    Keith Wilson

Swing arm bearings are not of the sealed type, but are standard tapered roller bearings. IMHO, if you are going to the trouble of taking it apart, just replace them outright. They're 23 years old and chances are good that they've never been touched. Bearings should be available at any bearing supply house, as are the seals.
    Brian
    1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
    1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
    remembering the same thing!

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the information This is a very useful forum.
      May God Bless thee and keep thee
      The Lord make his face shine upon thee, and be
      gracious unto thee.
      The Lord lift up his countenance upon thee, and
      give thee peace. (Num. 6:24-26)
      The Big Bald Guy,
      Keith Wilson

Comment

You're welcome.

Adjusting them is not a big problem either. There is a threaded bolt, with a locknut, on either side. Adjust the bolts so the distance between the swingarm and the inside of the frame is equal on either side. I seem to recall a torque value for the threaded bolt, but don't have my manual handy. I know there is one specified for the locknut as well.

This is a very useful forum.
        Yes, it certainly is. If you haven't already discovered it, on the left of your screen there is a "Tech Tips" selection. Lots of information on common problems and solutions for these bikes.

Brian
        Brian

Comment

I seem to remember the torque being 48 inch pounds (4 foot pounds)

Comment

Factory manual calls for 43 to 52 inch pounds. (I think it's the Clymer book that has an error in it, calls for a LOT more then that but it's wrong) And, when adjusting the pivot bolts, the manual says as long as they are within 1.6mm of each other it is OK.
            The lock nut calls for 72.3 foot pounds. It also says not to let the pivot bolt move when you torque the nut.

If you haven't got a manual yet, check Ebay for one, or contact member Rob Mills. He has compiled a manual, parts fiche, and a lot of other usefull information on a CD.
            Brian

Comment

Working...
            X