Caliper paint??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caliper paint??

I know that this has been discussed, but I didn't see the thread in the "search".
    I am about to strip and repaint my calipers. When I painted them 2 yrs ago, I used a rattle can paint that was intended for brake calipers and master cylinders.
    After one or two brake bleeds, the paint is completely bubbled down near the bleeder screw.
    I would really like to find a clear coat that will hold-up the the brake fluid. With clear coat, I would be able to paint the caliper black, and then sand the tops of the fins back to aluminum, then seal the whole thing.
    I called an automotive paint store today and they had nothing.
    Any ideas? Is powder coating an option?
    TIA
    Mike

1980 SG "Angus"

What brand of paint was it? I have some V H T Caliper & Rotor paint that I was thinking of using in the very near furure.

Comment

I am almost positive that that is what I used.
      I have it at work and will confirm that for you tomorrow.
      Mike

1980 SG "Angus"

Comment

John, it WAS VHT that I had used previously. It does not hold-up to brake fluid. It sure was easy to strip off though. )

It looks like powder painting might be the only thing that will not deteriorate with a little dripped fluid.
        I decided not to repaint mine.
        I spent several hours filing and detail sanding the aluminum.
        It was surprising how they left the castings when these were originally made!
        I have some really good aluminum polish that has a wax in it. I think that I will use that to delay the tarnishing, instead of clear coating.
        Hopefully, I will be back riding this weekend.
        Mike

1980 SG "Angus"

Comment

Re: Caliper paint??

Originally posted by newmaac
          I would really like to find a clear coat that will hold-up the the brake fluid. With clear coat, I would be able to paint the caliper black, and then sand the tops of the fins back to aluminum, then seal the whole thing.
          I called an automotive paint store today and they had nothing.
          Any ideas? Is powder coating an option?
          TIA
          Rather than trying to find a paint that is more resistant to brake fluid, try a different approach. Use DOT5 fluid. It doesn't attack paint. Just make sure that you flush all of the old fluid out first. DOT5 doesn't mix with other fluids and it will turn it into a gooey jelly like mess.

Comment

Polyurethene holds up to gas and brake fluid.
            CUAgain,
            Daniel Meyer
            Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
            Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

Working...
            X