Shifter Sticking??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shifter Sticking??

My 1100 shifter sticks when i shift. When i click it up to another gear it stay up till i tap it down...
    Can anyone tell me how to resolve this problem,and how complicated it will be
    Dennis 79' XS1100F 80'XS650Special Lets Git-R-Done And Cruise

Dennis,

Sounds like your shifter return spring is broken, or if you've got a lot of luck, it's just dislodged!

You'll need to loosen the footpeg bolt (it goes through the frame and motor), swing the footpeg out of the way to remove the shifter plate. The spring is on the shifter rod, an easy fix. There is a post here with pictures of the whole process, do a search.

Oh, either lay the bike down on it's right side or drain the oil before removing the plate. Don't ask how I know that!

HTH

Comment

It's part #6 in the diagram,

Yamaha part# 90508-29361-00 - SPRING, TORSION

Last edited by randy; 02-16-2005, 08:58 AM.

Comment

The bad thing about that diagram is it's misleading, they show the spring UNSPRUNG, but to mount it on to that shaft, you have to pull the ends apart, so they are essentially parallel to that shaft that the ends slide over. I replaced mine several years ago, they were still available from Yamaha at that time! Another symptom you may encounter is that it's hard to down shift, cause the spring will NOT return the shift lever back up to reset the shift pawl, so you have to gently pull up on the lever just far enough to reset it, without shifting back UP a gear, then you can downshift to the next lower gear, and then repeat the process!
        T.C.

PS, while you're in there, check the synchronization/alignment of the shift drum and shift pawl, needs to be done shifted into 2nd gear!
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Shifter Sticking

Thank for the imput fellows it was very helpful
          Dennis 79' XS1100F 80'XS650Special Lets Git-R-Done And Cruise

Comment

There's a couple of pictures in this earlier thread that might help you visualize things....
            Ken Talbot

Comment

Working...
            X