WOW! First ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WOW! First ride

I normally ride a 900 pound couch with a bay window called a 2000 Royal Star Venture.

Decided I needed a smaller project bike to play with so I bought an 82 XJ1100 sight unseen off Ebay to work on. Because of snow on the ground and bald dry rotted tires I only rode the bike down the block and back the day I picked it up. Only 19,800 miles but it needed some TLC, last couple owners didn't respect it but it did start right up, with a little coughing and spitting.

I had read so many wonderful things about the XS-XJ's on this forum as I have been getting brakes working, draining the oil (the 2-3 quarts could be years old), changing what may have been the original oil and air filters, and other odds and ends. Today the temperature jumped into the 60's here and I said to my boss I wish I could go home and get on my bike so he said, why not - go ahead. Didn't have to tell me twice, so home I come put a few things back together on it and told the wife, I'm going to take it for a quick ride (still got bald dry rotted tires, and no license plates).

WOW! WOW! WOW! Now I'm beginning to understand all the love for these bikes I see in this forum. I had never riden one before today, not sure just what I expected but I was thrilled with the power and performance of a bike that still needs alot of work. My wife wanted to know if the Venture was in danger of becoming the second best bike I was so excited when I came back.

I just wanted to share my pleasure with a bike that so many of you have known about for years and thank you for all the great information and tips you all offer in this forum. Without the support of this group I don't know if I would have taken this step.

Keep sharing the love!!!

That Venture is a VERY nice bike. It's basically a detuned V-Max engine mounted in a ...as you said...900 lb couch. At least the Venture isn't a total dog. That V-4 has some serious kick.

I have friends that never rode when they were younger or never experience a "real" supercruiser of 25 or 30 years ago. They've jumped on this damned "V-Twin" bandwagon never having experienced the sheer exhileration that only a high reving UJM can yield.

They'll jump on Godzilla for a few miles only to return with this huge smile on their face. Generally they are dumbfounded by the power AND torque of the big 11. Several have said things like "WOW it feels like a cruiser but runs like a sport bike!"

Well duh!

Too bad they quit makin' 'em.

Let me make a few suggestions:

When I got mine (XJ1100) last Sept. the thing was cosmetically excellent but it had been parked in a garage for about 20 years. The carbs must've been really nasty. The first several miles I drove it it was cutting out bad. Besides running "Seafoamed" gasoline through it I changed the air filter. HUGE difference. Although the bike only had 5800 miles on it the air filter was uber-filthy.

Once I changed the air filter and ran a tank of treated fuel through it ...it's been fine.

Also don't forget to re-tension the cam chain tensioner about every oil change (3000 miles). This will extend your top end life almost indefinitely. These bikes didn't have the automatic cam chain tensioner like their little brother XJ750.

It's a very simple procedure. Take the left side crank cover off and line the timing marks up. Then loosen the set screw on the side of the tensioner and re-tighten it and your done. I hear it really reduces top end wear and noise.

Comment

Maximan,

Haven't got to the carbs yet and I'm using up the old gas in it. Looking at the spark plugs 3 have good color and 1 is running a little rich.

Idle is a little rough but the carb boots are cracked and may be the problem. On my short ride today it throttled up smooth.

I know what you mean about the air filter. I think mine has the original one in it also. Waiting for a new one to be delivered, those are pricey little devils.

I've been reading many of the posts on the cam chain tensioner. Mine is leaking around the front plug. My local dealer had one in stock but had to order the gasket and o-ring. I'm going to pull it off when they come in.

Paul

Comment

Cam Chain

Paul, read the instructions on cam chain adjustment and comprehend what it is saying before attempting any work on the CC or it's tensioner. We have heard to many stories of grief from not following instructions on this seemingly easy adjustment.
        Ken/Sooke

Comment

Re: Cam Chain

Yeah, like be sure you use a sensitive baby-torque wrench! If you yhink the adjuster is stripped, get another before you do anything else!!!

Originally posted by ratbyk
          Paul, read the instructions on cam chain adjustment and comprehend what it is saying before attempting any work on the CC or it's tensioner. We have heard to many stories of grief from not following instructions on this seemingly easy adjustment.
          Ken/Sooke
          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

OK Sounds serious. What mistakes can I make in the cam chain adjuster. Align the timing-loosen the nut and back off the screw. Tension is adjusted, right? Tighten everything down and your done, right?

Comment

pflinker,

Read the post somewhere in this forum (search) about the cam tensioner leak. It's probably NOT the gasket, but instead the plug. Remove the housing, pop the plug, seal it with gasket sealer, and, voila, it's fixed.

Read the procedure for proper adjustment of the tensioner too.

Welcome to the club!
              Rick
              '80 SG
              '88 FXR
              '66 Spitfire MK II

Comment

Hey there PFlinker,

Read the following TECH TIP: Cam Chain Tips

There are specific warnings, mostly about NOT turning the crankshaft, especially backwards, once you've loosened the tensioner lot nut and bolt!

Congrats and welcome to the FAST LANE!!
                T. C. Gresham
                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                History shows again and again,
                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

pflinker,

Adjusting the tensioner is not a big deal. It is very straight forward...just read the Yammy service manual. If you need one let me know and I'll send you a copy. I have it on CD. Just follow the instructions TO THE LETTER.

I wouldn't try to replace that tensioner. THAT can be tricky. If you are bent on replacing it or installing a new seal I'd let a mechanic do it.

However, a leaky tensioner seal/o-ring is fairly common. My bike only had 5800 miles and was basically new but it would leave one (1) drop of motor oil on the garage floor every night.

Here's what I did and it stopped the leak. 5 minute expoxy is like duct tape. I think it cures the common cold. If you look at the end of the tensioner there is a black cap/plug seated in the end of it. That's where mine was leaking and that is what I ordered to replace. But before I replaced it and risked screwing something up...I cleaned it well with electra clean so there would be no residue of motor oil. That solvent will dry fast and leave no residue of the solvent. Then I dabbed a few drops of epoxy on the end of the of that black cap where it seats into the little metal tensioner body. I built a thin layer of it up...maybe 32nd of an inch and let it dry over night.

That was 5000 miles ago and it's never leaked since. If I need to remove my makeshift seal then it will easily peel off with a pocket knife.
                  Last edited by MAXIMAN; 02-15-2005, 11:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pflinker
                    OK Sounds serious. What mistakes can I make in the cam chain adjuster. Align the timing-loosen the nut and back off the screw. Tension is adjusted, right? Tighten everything down and your done, right?
                    Exactly...it's that simple. Just be DAMNED sure you don't over torque the set screw when you re-tighten it. You can bend that tensioner and then your screwed. Use a torque wrench.

Comment

Working...
                    X