Rear Axle Spacer on XS1100SF?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle Spacer on XS1100SF?

I was going through the rear end on my '79 Special, and I noticed that there is a discrepancy between my bike and the Clymer manual I use to repair it. The manual states that there should be a spacer on the right side between the swing arm and the caliper mounting plate. If you've got a Clymer's manual, it's got a big arrow pointing to it in picture 30 on page 236. There's even a notation of "Do not lose the axle spacer" in the text. My bike doesn't have this part.

Did a previous owner lose this part before I got the bike? Do other Special owners have a spacer there? The shape of the axle seems to hold everything in place with no slippage. Is this a crucial component to my rear suspension? Does anybody have an extra one?
    '79XS1100SF "Little Timmy"
    '66 Thunderbird

Is your spacer built onto the mount for the caliper?

Comment

Special spacers

Hollywood, I have 2 Specials, and there are basically 4 spacers on the rear. First is the one that the seal rides on, then there is a silver one that looks to be about 3/4 inch, then the bracket that the caliper is mounted to, and then the torque plate. That's the one that is attached to the caliper bracket, and the front end of this bracket attaches to the swingarm. Both bikes are set up the same way. Even with these spacers in place there is still about 1/8 inch of axle showing between the swingarm, and the first spacer. It may be possible that the Clymers is showing a pic of the Standard model. I have read here that there are some differences in the spacers.

Comment

Be sure you're looking at the right model. I put a Special rim on my Standard and the spacers are different on the two different models.
        Rule 1: Pillage, then burn.
        Rule 13: Do unto others
        www.schlockmercenary.com

Comment

Hey there Hollywoodxs11SF, and John,

I don't know what edition your Clymer's is, but mine is on page 215, and it's showing a Standard wheel and spacers!

On my Special, on the right side, there is a combo Spacer/oil seal dust cap that fits against the wheel, inside of the brake tension bar/spacer combo. That's it! And reviewing the Microfiche for the 79SF, it only shows that same style spacer!

There's a prominent lip on the right end of the axle, and it contacts the spacers and holds the whole thing tight when the castle nut is tightened, then you secure the axle locking nut/bolt in the clamp on the right side. As long as your able to torque the castle nut to proper torque, and the wheel still spins freely, then you've got it right!
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Sweet. That's what I thought. I alsop have the exploded line drawing of a Standard wheel in my Clymer's, but I also have a pic of the spacer indicated with an arrow pointing to it as mentioned above. I was hoping that was for the Standard only. Thanks, TopCat.
            '79XS1100SF "Little Timmy"
            '66 Thunderbird

Comment

Working...
            X