Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just Bought My First XJ1100 HELP PLEASE.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Bought My First XJ1100 HELP PLEASE.

Hey there everybody. I Just Picked up My first XJ1100 Maxim from a friend and co worker. He is the 2nd owner. Heres the story on this bike. The original owner who I also know purchased this bike new and rode it for a season or two. He then got married and was forced to put the bike away where it sat in his garage for many many years. About 3 years ago the bike was picked up by the 2nd owner who took some time to get her running. apparently he told me that the bike was running after a carb cleaning and replacement of a few vacuum hoses. He told me that he lost interest due to time and money to finish the bike up the rest of the way to make it just right. What he could tell me was that it seemed that there was a slight fuel leak around the carb boots. Before buying the bike I went to take a closer look at it. From what i could find it looks ultra clean with only a few minor cosmetic flaws. He told me that the original owner had a few minor parking accidents where the bike was tipped. These are trully small in nature and I think that I can get this thing Back to Its former Glory. Heres the bonus THIS BIKE HAS 1139 MILES ON IT! Thats not even broken in. What im hoping for here is some direction on the essentials on getting her running and road worthy. even if i have to take it in to the dealer for some things like carb work. I want this bike to shine and be a wonderful example of what a classic motorcycle should be. Any suggestions. I am pretty good with directions and decent skills working with tools. I just want this thing to be sweet. Thanks

Jorge

sounds like a bad deal, but cause im such a good hearted person Ill help you out and take her off your hands for a couple hundred more than you paid.

anyway,, congats on the new bike. Im sure it just needs the carbs cleaned, fluids changed, and a new battery.

First bike was an: 1978 XS1100
    Second bike is an FJR1300.
    Now I'm restoring a '79 XS1100.

Comment

Hey there OpFlash,

Congrats on a great find!! You will want to take a look at this link, from the Tech tips, Misc. section:
      What to look for in Neglected XS/XJ

20 year old rubber isn't so reliable. Especially in sections like TIRES, and fuel components...lines, Octopus, petcocks, and perhaps the Float Needle Valve tips! Sitting for a long time can still develop corrosion, so you'll want to check ALL of the electrical connections, under the tank/seat, headlight bucket, Fuse Block, etc!!

Like you said, very low miles, barely broken in, and not ridden much, so that you might even want to perform another modified break in procedure, changing the oil to a SINGLE weight type, run it gently but take it up to highway speeds and temps for several hundred miles, over several days to help reseat the rings and rescrub the cylinders. You might want to do a Compression check before this, and then again afterwards to compare. Also monitor your mileage/MPG's, it may be less in the beginning, then may increase as the rings settle back down and make a better seal!?

Then after say 500 miles or so, rechange the oil again to 20-50 range for better protection! The other 2 fluid chambers to change besides the main engine, is the middle gear, and final Drive gear at the wheel...80-90 Hypoid!

It's very doubtful that the Valve clearance will need to be adjusted yet!? Yes, the carbs should be rebuilt/cleaned, should clean and repack the wheel bearings, relube the cables=throttle,clutch. The Brakes should be bled profusely if not actually taken apart and cleaned! Again, congrats, and enjoy!
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

OpFlash,

You dawg!

I thought I got the "cherriest" one out there. I bought one from the original owner(a female rider) in September. She'd only put 5300 miles on it and it was in excellent condition. She parked it in her garage for about 20 years.

When I got it ...it was running rough. But it would run...it was just cutting out really bad. Before I took it to the shop I put two full 16 oz. cans of Seafoam fuel treatment in the tank and filled it up with gasoline. Then I drove that tank of fuel through it.

I rode about 25-30 miles the first day. It was sputtering pretty bad. I knew I got the treatment into the carbs and float bowls in 30 miles. So I parked it for a couple days and let the "stuff" work on the carbs. Then I drove the rest of the fuel out of it (about 100 miles). By then it was running smooth.

I've never looked back. The thing has been runnin very strong since then. I've put about 6,000 miles on it since Sept...three long road trips.

So you might try that on the carbs before ya take it in. Whadaya got to loose but a couple cans of Seafoam and a little time. It might save ya $400.

Welcome to the 1100 Club. And post some pics of that bad boy.

Comment

Too Bad

Sorry I think you overpaid, but I would not be a good xs'er if I didn't offer to take it off you hands. It's to cold and the traffics to bad to ride up in IL. anyway. With that many miles it's probaly worn out so I would be doing you a big favor and I don't even know you. I even have a first born child to offer in trade along with you initial investment in cash. Hell I'll even sping for my plane ride to Chi town.

Good luck and welcome
          There's always a way, figure it out.
          78XS11E

Comment

Originally posted by RUSH
            sounds like a bad deal, but cause im such a good hearted person Ill help you out and take her off your hands for a couple hundred more than you paid.

anyway,, congats on the new bike. Im sure it just needs the carbs cleaned, fluids changed, and a new battery.
            My friend if you only knew what i paid for this bike you would die. Im so excited about this ride. Its nice to know that this shouldnt be a project bike like the one thats been taking forever to finish my old 68 honda cb350 a frame off custom restoration.

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58
              Hey there OpFlash,

Congrats on a great find!! You will want to take a look at this link, from the Tech tips, Misc. section:
              What to look for in Neglected XS/XJ

20 year old rubber isn't so reliable. Especially in sections like TIRES, and fuel components...lines, Octopus, petcocks, and perhaps the Float Needle Valve tips! Sitting for a long time can still develop corrosion, so you'll want to check ALL of the electrical connections, under the tank/seat, headlight bucket, Fuse Block, etc!!

Like you said, very low miles, barely broken in, and not ridden much, so that you might even want to perform another modified break in procedure, changing the oil to a SINGLE weight type, run it gently but take it up to highway speeds and temps for several hundred miles, over several days to help reseat the rings and rescrub the cylinders. You might want to do a Compression check before this, and then again afterwards to compare. Also monitor your mileage/MPG's, it may be less in the beginning, then may increase as the rings settle back down and make a better seal!?

Then after say 500 miles or so, rechange the oil again to 20-50 range for better protection! The other 2 fluid chambers to change besides the main engine, is the middle gear, and final Drive gear at the wheel...80-90 Hypoid!

It's very doubtful that the Valve clearance will need to be adjusted yet!? Yes, the carbs should be rebuilt/cleaned, should clean and repack the wheel bearings, relube the cables=throttle,clutch. The Brakes should be bled profusely if not actually taken apart and cleaned! Again, congrats, and enjoy!
              Thanks for the help and for the good advice im going to be totally commited to getting this thing back to its former glory and with this community i think that ill have all the help ill need

Comment

Originally posted by MAXIMAN
                OpFlash,

You dawg!

I thought I got the "cherriest" one out there. I bought one from the original owner(a female rider) in September. She'd only put 5300 miles on it and it was in excellent condition. She parked it in her garage for about 20 years.

When I got it ...it was running rough. But it would run...it was just cutting out really bad. Before I took it to the shop I put two full 16 oz. cans of Seafoam fuel treatment in the tank and filled it up with gasoline. Then I drove that tank of fuel through it.

I rode about 25-30 miles the first day. It was sputtering pretty bad. I knew I got the treatment into the carbs and float bowls in 30 miles. So I parked it for a couple days and let the "stuff" work on the carbs. Then I drove the rest of the fuel out of it (about 100 miles). By then it was running smooth.

This sounds like a really great idea and when i get around to starting on getting this thing back up and running ill have to give it a try. I do feel lucky that this bike has finally fallen into my hands i picked it up from my coworker who ive been riding for about 8 plus months to break down and finally sell. Anyway it sounds like your bike was more cosemetically sound however the things on this bike are so minute that i dont really think that it will be a problem. front break lever is bent a bit a small scratch on the left side case under the yics a small crack in the turning signal lens very minor stuff from a few small parking accidents by its original owner. I will post some pics when i get this bad boy all cleaned up and shiny.

I've never looked back. The thing has been runnin very strong since then. I've put about 6,000 miles on it since Sept...three long road trips.

So you might try that on the carbs before ya take it in. Whadaya got to loose but a couple cans of Seafoam and a little time. It might save ya $400.

Welcome to the 1100 Club. And post some pics of that bad boy.

Comment

Re: Too Bad

Originally posted by pathfinder
                  Sorry I think you overpaid, but I would not be a good xs'er if I didn't offer to take it off you hands. It's to cold and the traffics to bad to ride up in IL. anyway. With that many miles it's probaly worn out so I would be doing you a big favor and I don't even know you. I even have a first born child to offer in trade along with you initial investment in cash. Hell I'll even sping for my plane ride to Chi town.

Good luck and welcome
                  Thanks for your offer and your first born sounded good too but i have my hands full enough with my first born my son is pushing two and hes into everything!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by OpFlash
                    Thanks for the welcome. Well as of right now you have the sweetest bike out there. BTW i read your story of your ride awesome stuff. This bike may not be as cosmetically clean as your example was. there are a few small minor things that will need to be addressed. theres a small scrape on the left side case and front brake lever is a bit bent. one of the signal lenses cracked. missing a mirror and theres a black circular cover for a bolt i think that goes on the handlebars. looks like maybe a bit of small pitting in some places (very minor) this bike needs a good cleaning for sure been in the garage the whole time but uncovered so very dusty at the moment. When i get it nice and clean i will make sure that i post a bunch of pics. thanks again for the help and advice i think that i may try that carb idea of yours.

Comment

Great...Another XJ! In addition to what others have said, a few more points you should be aware of.

First, finding a shop who will work on an '82 may be a problem...the bike is older than most of the mechanics, and, sad to say, there are stories of bikes coming out of the shop the same or worse than they were. Find a shop who has some older mechanics or are willing to talk about your old bike.

Second, do a search on 'manuals' and look at what turns up. No after-market manuals for the XJ, only the genuine Yamaha article. The XJ is different enough so that the XS manuals are at best a rough guide. However, one of our members (Rob Mills) has put together a set of manuals , with pats lists, on CD. This is a great reference.

Third, there was a recent thread here about the differences between the XJ and XS. Look it up, as there is good information in it. Use the Search tab at the top right-hand part of your screen to look up past threads.

Finally, welcome to the forum. The goal is to share information and stories, so keep us posted on your progress!
                      Jerry Fields
                      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                      '06 Concours
                      My Galleries Page.
                      My Blog Page.
                      "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

OPflash

I've mentioned this in other forums but not to you...I don't think. This is pretty much a no brainer. Put a new air filter in it. Although mine only had 5800 miles on it...the filter was the original...22 years old! It was absolutely filthy.

When I changed it...WOW!

Good luck and WEAR A HELMET!

Comment

Im saving up some cash right now to take care of the essentials like you said the air filter being one of em. And Im also in the process of traking down the manuals and ofcourse researching these threads and other websites to get some knowledge before starting to undertake this project. Again thanks for all the help!

I always wear a helmet and have since I started riding. Being a paramedic I know first hand on what happens to people when they dont take proper precautions with saftey!

Comment

Hey there everyone I have some good news I just got this beast to turn over today and shes running! I havent had any time to work on her until I played around with her today. anyway i got her started and she's running so so. the bike will run with the choke on but once the chokes off the bike dies. I know its carb related but im not sure which direction i want to go in work on it or just take it in to an expert and hope for the best. like I said this puppy has 1139 miles on it I also noticed that i can hardly push the darn thing as i thing the front caliper or brake pads are locked up! I would like to post some pics for you guys but im not sure how to do that so let me know help a brother out. anyway I also noticed that exhaust was leaking round where the header meets the muffler doesnt look like a hole but im not sure its smokey down there. I would really like to post some pics.

Comment

Flash

Sounds just like Zilla. Only 5800. Running real lean. Had to drive it a few miles with the choke on. It wouldn't run choke off.

Brakes were sticking too...just like yours. Typical old bike problems.

Here's what I did. Ran 2 cans of Seafoam in 2 gallons of gas through the bike. I had to ride with the choke on for a couple days. Also changed the air filter. It was filthy but hafd a big hole in the paper...thus the lean.

The brakes...I just took a 8mm wrench...worked the brake and bled a few drops off...about 20 times. Wahsed around the calipers. it finally freed up.

However it may be your Master cyl. if so that will need to be rebuilt. about $25 for a kit.

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X