Cateye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cateye

I saw where someone recommended a Cateye Astrale 8 bicycle speedometer for an XJ since the original Yammy speedo only goes to 85.

I think the 81 XS only goes to 85 mph too...can't remember.

Anyway i installed one today. I works perfectly. I got it synced up to the XJ speedo and took it out the highway and ran it up to 105 mph when a crosswind scared the pee-wad outta me.

They say the Cateye is accurate up to 185. It only cost $25.

Why not set the Cateye to be accurate rather than sync it to the inaccurate OEM speedo?
    Just a suggestion.
    Toughest part is finding a known, accurate distance to calibrate the Cateye. Maybe check with your local highway dept. and they may have known measurements like 1/10 mile between telephone poles or something like that. Here in Modesto most major intersections are 1/2 mile apart but that can vary too. If you have a local dragstrip then you've got it made.
    Pat Kelly
    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
    1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
    1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
    1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

My XJ is very close. Here in OK the state was done on a congressional survey. There is a section line road every 5280 feet. The turnpike here has very good mile markers as well and I've checked my OEM speedo against them over a 30 - 40 mile distance and it's been close. After 40 miles miles odometer was showing 40.3. That's only .00075 off (or 7 tenths of one percent).

I've never really felt like my OEM speedo was off significantly.

However the Cateye allows you to program the the circumference of your tire into the device and speed is determined via that tire size.

I measured the circumference...by marking the tire and rolling it on a flat surface. Then I used that value to program the cateye. When I got on the road at highway speed the cat odometer was off to the mile markers. It was coming up short (thus reading slow). I adjusted the circum input and rode a few more miles. I had to re-iterate the process several times before the Cat odometer would sync up to the mile markers. When I got it close I then compared it to the OEM. The twain were same.

So in essence the Cateye is synced to the OEM speedo. They both read the same...as they should since they both reflect very closely to the mile markers on the highway.

Comment

I've scratched my head trying to figure why the Cateye wouldn't be perfect to the direct measurement of the tire circumference.

All I can figure is the cateye was designed for a bicyle and the tire on a bicyle may not have any "stretch" from centrifugal force...especially at bicycle speeds. I assumed after measuring the tire circum accurately on the XJ... the cateye would reflect an accurate reading from that measurement. However I am convinced that at highway speed (roughly 45 mph or greater) centrifugal force cause the tire to stretch (or elongate) slightly thus resulting in a slightly larger circumference than that measured by merely rolling the tire on the driveway.

I did not drive marker to marker at say ...10 mph...to see if the odometer on the cateye would reflect a different reading. Maybe I should try that tommorrow to see if my theory is right.
        Last edited by MAXIMAN; 02-13-2005, 11:21 PM.

Comment

In any event you can adjust the Cateye in millimeter increments (tire circumference) and get the thing reading very accurately.

It is a very cool little device for a mere $25!

Comment

Hey Maximan,

You said this cateye speedo was designed for a bicycle? What bicycle could ever go 185?

Anyway, where can I see a picture of one? Did you install it to complement your OEM speedo, or to replace it? My buddy has an ‘85 Maxim XJ which he crushed his Speedo in a skidding accident, and I’m trying to find a replacement. This is a model with the white face, and they are no longer available from Yamaha. I’m told Virago’s of the mid 80’s have the same Speedo, and they ARE available, but for big bucks.

Maybe this cateye speedo is a way for him to get back on the road? (he needs a speedo here in PA so the bike will pass inspection).

Does it run via cable, or electrics?

Thanks,
            Rick
            '80 SG
            '88 FXR
            '66 Spitfire MK II

Comment

I've been wanting to put a bicycle unit on my bike(s) but haven't gotten around to it. I was in the process of doing just that on my XL250R (was going to go the wireless route) when a speedo came up on Ebay.
              I swapped the 140 MPH speedo from an XS750 with the 85 MPH unit on my LG. It seems close as and cable-driven speedo. The LG still has dangerously crappy tires so I haven't had the bike up to speed yet the couple of times I've ridden it.
              Pat Kelly
              <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
              1999 Suburban (The Ship)
              1968 F100 (Valentine)

Comment

Here's a link to the cateye website
                http://www.cateye.com/en/products/vi...d=6&subCatId=0
                Looks like a neat little unit. It works on a non contact magnetic sensor system. Where did you mount the sensors, Cody? I've also seen a chopped XS11 with a little 2" diameter custom speedo installed. Not sure if the one I saw was from Parts N More, but they have similar units in their accessories section. Anyway, it looked great! Simple, small & clean for that custom look.
                Dennis

Comment

Fxrer,

Hehehe I have no idea why the thing is designed to indicate up to 185...but it is.

No I didn't replace the OEM. My 1100 is cherry and the OEM pilot box is in perfect condition. I did get weary of not knowing my speed above 85 and this little deal does it. I mounted on top of the XJ gauges. It is about the size of an LCD watch face. I'll try to get up a pic of how I did it.

The way it works is it's calculator. There is a magnetic pickup/semsor and a little magnet. You mount the magnet on the wheel and the sensor on the fork. When the magnet spins by the sensor it send a signal up a wire to the Cateye. The Cateye can show various readouts including wheel RPM. You program the Cateye to the circumference of the wheel. Then the Cateye computes the speed from the RPM x the circumference. It's really very simple. It will display in either MPH or KmPH. It also has an odometer...average speed...clock and other functions.

Pat Kelly -

Be careful about the wireless units. I've read they lose communication with the display and can be a PITA. I hear the hard wired types are more reliable.

dntemp_ca -

Again I'll try to get some pics up tommorrow. But I mounted the sensor on the lower part of the front fork. Then I used a drop of 5 minute epoxy on the back of the magnet and stuck to the right front brake rotor. Then I adjusted the sensor around to where it would pickup well and tightened the zip ties in place. Works like a charm.

Comment

Cool it's good for my health

Heart Rate Current
                    Average
                    Maximum
                    Heart Rate Zone x 4 - Current
                    Average
                    Maximum
                    Heart Rate Zone x 1 Current
                    Average
                    Heart Rate Zone x 1 Calorie Consumption

Got that off their comparison chart, now I can tell SHMBO when I ride I'm actually exercising and should be losing weight shortly. Now I've gotta have one.
                    There's always a way, figure it out.
                    78XS11E

Comment

...now I can tell SHMBO when I ride I'm actually exercising and should be losing weight shortly.

Ok here's a link to a couple photos of how I mounted it.

http://hometown.aol.com/rocktone/cateye.html

The Cateye on top of the pilot box is mounted behind it on 3/4 PVC I fashioned and painted black.

Comment

Back when I was a Cat III roadracer (bicycle) I had a friend that wore his heartrate monitor to bed one night. After 'exercising' with his wife he checked the record of his peak heartrate. He peaked at 140 beats per minute (BPM). He got in trouble with the wife when he commented that he usually trains (back then) at 170 BPM for hours at a time with peaks of 200 BPM .
                        We really love(d) biking.
                        Pat Kelly
                        <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                        1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                        1968 F100 (Valentine)

Comment

i have about 4,000 miles on my cateye 8 and love it.

worked great when i was in canada - was much easier to read km/h and such.

Comment

I duct tape my GPS to my tank to calibrate my bike speedo.
                            DZ
                            Vyger, 'F'
                            "The Special", 'SF'
                            '08 FJR1300

Comment

Originally posted by Dennyz
                              I duct tape my GPS to my tank to calibrate my bike speedo.
                              GREAT idea. I think mine says it's accurate to within +/- 15 feet.

Comment

Working...
                              X