Frankensteon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frankensteon

My apologies - this post is a little OT but has anyone used parts from an xs850 to replace xs1100 items?
    I checked the yamaha site re: part #'s and it looks like there are some parts which are interchangeable, but would love to hear from anyone who has made a similar jigsaw puzzle.
    I recently front ended my bike and just found a 850 special with a lot of the gold trim & black chrome still in decent shape. Engine is fucocked - barely even holds 90psi, brakes are shot and the carbs dismantled, but the forks, covers, pipes tank and other items still look pretty.
    Thanks!
    -Patrick Kennedy
    Your Mileage May Vary

A lot of parts will interchange. The best way to be sure is to go to Yamaha's web site, and look up the P/N's ad compare them. What I have found is mostly you will see the same P/N, only with a different prefix. I supposed if you swapped out the entire assy, then it sould work. The pipes won't work. Head light bucket, and ears will. Fuel tanks won't. Wheels will, bars will, switches will. I have most of those things swapped out on my bike already, except the forks. The brake rotors are smaller on the 850.

Comment

make that "stein"!

Thanks - that's kinda what I thought about the tank - love the gold trim around the seam though. Too bad - the PO of the 850 just let it sit for over two years... Alas.
      Any idea what the implication is when only the last 2 digitis of the PN differ?
      e.g. 2LO-14355-66 vs 4H7-14355-82?

Thanks Again!
      Your Mileage May Vary

Comment

That I couldn't tell you. What is the part in question?

Comment

Regulator / Rectifier swaps, too.

From 850 G, SG, H, SH

And from 750 E, F, SF

Will swap to 1100 E, F, G, H, SF, SG, SH, LH
          Last edited by randy; 02-08-2005, 03:50 PM.

Comment

sorta OT

This bike is a freebie and I have first dibbs, thinking I might squeeze it into my garage and start dismantling and posting to eBay. The tank is in really beautiful condition and would prolly fetch a decent price. Anyone know if there are regs against ground or air mailing used fuel tanks (even if they are cleaned out)?
            Your Mileage May Vary

Comment

Check with your shipper of choice about the regulations on 'Hazarous' goods, but if you could air it out for a few days, and then wash it well with dish lsoap and water. Rinse it well and dry it quickly by removing the pet cocks, and duct taping a hair dryer to the filler hole. let it dry for a while until the whole tank is warm to the touch.

Comment

I bought two tanks off E-Bay (1 Honda, 1 BSA) - no problems, they both arrived UPS, with normal shipping charges.
                Rick
                '80 SG
                '88 FXR
                '66 Spitfire MK II

Comment

Sorry for the repeat, but I still don't quite understand the part number thing. If I understood, the first 3 digits can be different so long as the last 7 are the same? This is good stuff to know for ebayers.
                  JC
                  '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Originally posted by 81xsproject
                    Sorry for the repeat, but I still don't quite understand the part number thing. If I understood, the first 3 digits can be different so long as the last 7 are the same? This is good stuff to know for ebayers.
                    JC

NO NO NO! This is not true!

The first 3 digits specify the first model that part was used on...this is the killer since it tells you what bike it is for.

The next 5 digits are the actual part, ALL voltage rectifiers have the same 5 digits, all front fenders have the same 5 numbers, all headlight lenses have the same 5 numbers! A part for a 1963 YD3 will likely not fit a new R1 but the voltage regulator (if a yd3 had one) would have those same 5 digits.

The next 2 are revision numbers, and the last 2 are color, finish etc.

All newer (mid 1960's and up) Yamaha model specific part numbers are in this format:

4H7-12345-00-00

Sometimes the last two are left off because they are not used as much but they are still in the computer this way.

Sometimes Yamaha does supersede numbers so a 4H7-12345-01-00 would be a slighly revised part that works in either application.

A 4H7-12345-00-33 would be a black one, a 4H7-12345-00-K0 would be a chrome one.

There is more to the superceding and revision than this sometimes whole part numbers are swapped as a model progresses.

There are also 'hardware numbers' like 90000-23456 these are for screws and bearings and stuff that usually is used on many different models.

Not a very good explaination but I tried.
                    Gary Granger
                    Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
                    2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

OK...
                      I will just keep bugging everyone on the forum or my local yamaha. Thankyou so much for trying. I'll read it over a few more times, I am a smart guy so I should figure it out.
                      JC
                      '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

I hope this is on a tech tip site somewhere. It should be.

Originally posted by sixtysix

NO NO NO! This is not true!
                        The first 3 digits specify (snip)
                        Not a very good explaination but I tried.
                        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Working...
                        X