Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First Oil Change.....

Ok.. Finally, I got it right.

Let's see, I started out with a Fram Oil Filter and 4 quarts of Casterol GTX 10/40 oil. Then, after taking off the Oil Cap, I couldn't figure out how to get the filter out, so I went to the Yamaha shop. They told me to use the Yamaha filter and the Yamalube 20/40 oil instead of the car oil. As well as my original owner told me to stick with the Yamaha filter. So, after I got that off and realized, their must be more oil somewhere, I found the drain plug. Well, my metric set only went to 17 mm, so, thinking it was the next size, 18mm, I went to Schucks and bought it only to find out that it's a 19mm. So, I got that, drained the oil, put the filter in and put all 4 quarts in. Little did I know that it only took 3500mm not 946mm *4. So, I had to get the turkey baster out and suck some out. I also found that I had a small leaka on oil cap and had to take it off and put it back on again. I then cranked it up and it did not leak. Yipee!

Any ideas on what's a good motorcycle grip? This bike has a really foamy grip and I kind of like the Kurakyan grips my brother has on his VTX1800.

Thanks!
    Brian S. Tinsley
    Brian S. Tinsley

Hey there Brian,

Congrats on mission accomplished! Now, for those grips, Kuryakyn are nice, but rather pricey, like you said, they were on your brother's Cruiser. But, you, too, can have them for the XS11, made for 7/8" bars, sold by Bike Bandit for a mere $53.96 a set at this link:
    Kuryakyn 7/8's inch grips!

Or you can get some BikeMaster grips, they don't specify for 7/8 vs. 1", but I would think they would carry both, at a more modest price ~ $14.00 or so:
    Bikemaster foam/chomed ended grips

JCW has a modest assortment.
    Partsmore has some foam/chrome highway grips for $13.00 also.
    Just shop around! T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I can only see where you made two mistakes. One, you went to a dealer, and Two, you listened to them. The Fram filter is probably made by the same factory that makes the Yamaha piece, and you bought their oil. How expensive was it? I have used nothing but Castrol 20w50 for the 14 years that I have owned my bike. It's kinda like kids...at first you buy the high dollar Pampers, but you quickly learn that the less expensive ones do just as good a job.
      Welcome to the club...

Comment

Brian, do you happen to remember seeing the thin washer that sits between the top of the spring and the filter? Very often, it will be stuck to the bottom of the filter and people end up throwing it without realizing it even existed.
        Ken Talbot

Comment

Working...
        X