Just got an 1100 out of a barn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got an 1100 out of a barn

Just picked up an 1100 out of an old dudes barn its a little rough around the edges like the seat and the tank but on a cold night in january with the coal stove fired up in the garage and a couple of old hippy buddies we jerry rigged a fuel delivery system and a battery from my 4 wheeler she fired up for the first time in ten years a few crackles and a spit and sputter she smoothed right out and man what a smooth sounding machine I havent ridden it yet but I cant wait. Im really not sure what I have square tach round head light big ole tail light It had a fairing in it at one time
    Here are some numbers maybee some of you may have some knowlage of it these are taken off the title
    body type MC
    model descriptionx11
    id number 2H7022342
    thanks in advance
    peace
    The last hippy

Welcome to the club!

Looks like you have a '78 XS 11 E "Standard" model

go here for more info.

http://www.benefiscal.co.uk/model.php

Good luck with your restoration!
    Rick
    '80 SG
    '88 FXR
    '66 Spitfire MK II

Comment

Hey there Knawfull,

That's just "Awful"ly good about your recent acquisition, pardon the PUN!

Like Fxrer said, sounds like you have essentially a Standard, but has been cross bred with at least some Special parts, "Round headlight" for one!!! Glad to hear it fired up for you. Sitting in a barn for so many years, and not covered/sealed/prepped properly will proabably cause it to have developed some rust internally, at least in one of the cylinders due to he cams propping open the valves on one, and the atmosphere getting in thru the carbs, exhaust. So...if you do test your compression, it may not be too good, YET!? But after you replace ALL fluids, and even possibly try some MM oil or such to help free up possibly stuck rings, and then run the engine for a while under normal loads and highway temps, the rings may then free up and reseat, scrubbing off the rust, and your compressions may return to a somewhat normal value and be consistent across all 4 cylinders, you don't want to see more tha 10% variance!

You'll definitely be wanting to clean and reseal the tank, add inline filters, and all the other fun stuff it's going to take to get it road worthy and safe, good winter early spring project for sure!!

Hope you will peruse the tech tips and search the threads to find most of the answers you'll need regarding resurrecting this wonderful machine!! Looking forward to seeing your posts, any requests for help/parts, and comments/updates on your progress.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks for the info after getting the post from fixer I check the production date on the sticker and it is may 78 thanks again for the info it was most helpful
        The last hippy

Comment

Working...
        X