Starting the winter project, first gear dremel fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting the winter project, first gear dremel fix

Well I got the fluids out, tank off, exhaust off, and got the bike upside down. Took me three hours to just start it so I could drain it! I sure got some strange looks around town today as I rode it around. It's not your usual Upper Michigan transport in February. I can't wait to take some pics to show you guys whaht I found when I took off the air filter to get some ether in there, hopefully tomorrow... One question as I start, TC you said that I should shift to fourth gear before I take off the gear shift. I tried to, but forgot to do it until I drained all the fluid out. Then it wouldn't shift for me, I can't get it out of neutral. How critical is it that it be in fourth gear?

Mike (nervous, but pressing on...)
    The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands. Psalm 19:1

rotate the rear tire while your try to shift.
    DZ
    Vyger, 'F'
    "The Special", 'SF'
    '08 FJR1300

Comment

Isn't it second gear that you want, so when you reassemble it you can check the alignment marks on the shift linkage? My Clymer manual says to make sure the trans is in second to align the marks on the shift drum and the shift lever. I myself don't know of any reason to have the trans in 4th, unless there is reason to do this when trying to remove the trans shafts with out splitting the cases.

Comment

Hey Mike, and John,

Yeah, you need to be in 4th to be able to remove the countershafts and gears WITHOUT splitting the cases. Do like DennyZ said, and roll the back wheel forward while shifting, it helps to move the gears to allow them to rotate and slide on the shafts. Then, after you put it all back together, then you'll be able to align the shifter drum and shift lever. Good Luck, take your time.
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
        X