Oil Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Change

Ok.. I got my Fram Filter and I bought 3 quarts of Casterol 10-40 oil. I am not sure if this is enough or not. I am now going to see how much oil it takes, then get busy changing the oil. Someone said that this oil is the same oil that the gear shifter uses?

BTW-Thanks for all the help! It's a great site!
    Brian S. Tinsley

The transmission shares a common crankcase with the rest of the motor so the gear shifter in fact uses the same oil. IIRC, you may actually need a bit closer to 4 quarts.

When you go at this this, be ready for a bit of trouble getting the filter cover bolt off. People often tend to tighten this way past what is needed. The small stock bolt head size (12mm) doesn't give you much to work with. In fact, you should consider picking up a fresh 6 point socket before you start. If you get stuck, check some of the recent threads dealing with this exact issue.

Of course, you will want to remove the crankcase drain bolt first, not the bolt holding on the filter cover. The crankcase drain bolt won't be as much trouble as the cover bolt, but be careful you don't break off a small part of the cooling fin next to the bolt. There's not a lot of room between the fin and the bolt head, so watch when the bolt breaks loose.
    Ken Talbot

Comment

Working...
    X