Pilot jet size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pilot jet size

Need advice: I replaced all jets with K & L parts which looked like they where what was in it. On a 79 SF I rode it for a year while at the same time trying to adjust the carbs for a too rich mixture at idle. I know I was waisting my time and should of change pilot size to a smaller one. I have 42.5's in right now but I've also picked up 40's and 37.5 pilot jets. The question is which of the two (40's or 37.5) would some expert recomend I try first.
    79 XS1100 SF & 1989 Venture Royal & 98 Valkrye
    It's not the speed that will get you it's the sudden stop.

Pilot Jets

Remove the K&L pilots and put in the original Mikuni 42.5 jets.
    If you do a visual comparison between the after market (K&L) and the original equipment 42.5 you will see a considerable difference in the hole size. The K&L's flow rate is away to high.
    This has caught out many many XS'ers.
    Ken/Sooke

Comment

Ken: I was told by a parts supply fellow that K&L are now suppling the jets for Mikuni so I just ordered smaller jets and already have them. Don't know if they were telling the truth or not. Guy (Duster)
      79 XS1100 SF & 1989 Venture Royal & 98 Valkrye
      It's not the speed that will get you it's the sudden stop.

Comment

Pilots

If you are running too rich and your float height is right don't believe the parts guy. Pull the carbs and do a comparison. There have been dozens of people on this forum who have gone through exactly what you are right now. K&L are not Mikuni. Possibly newly released K&L kits are using Mikuni. (don't know)
        But who is to say that the kits you used were not old stock!
        Ken/Sooke

Comment

Working...
        X