Road Trip Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road Trip Update

I know some of you guys read my road story about going to Big Bend Texas.

I updated it and posted it as a web page. There were a few minor factual errors i corrected and added some detail and lots of photos.

If you wanna read it here's the link:

http://hometown.aol.com/rocktone/index.html

oh man!

Those are some gorgeous machines you have!
    Your Mileage May Vary

Comment

Thanks.

The 1100 looked that way when I got it.

The 750 has been refurbished and slightly customized.

Comment

Nice job on the story/site!

Love Big Bend and Texas riding!
        CUAgain,
        Daniel Meyer
        Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
        Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

Well thanks alot. I'm adding a little to it everyday. Not much of a webmaster though.

Daniel, I saw your XS11 Special at your website...the "Well Oiled Machine". I know you sold it but geez that was a NICE BIKE!

Comment

Maximan,

A fine story and great pictures. Your account really brought the trip alive. I’d like to get down there some day, but that’s a long way from here.

By the way, my first bike also was a Sears Allstate, made by Puch of Austria. Mine was a 1963 250 cc, 2-stroke vertical twin (with only one common combustion chamber). My dad bought it for me used for $100, from a guy at work. Super low performance - 14 hp, I think, but as you noted, it was my first bike. After that, I graduated to BSA’s (a ’64 250 cc and a ‘66 650 Spitfire). My best buddy had a 1965 Yamaha “Big Bear” 250 so I got to ride that often. My first Yamaha, was a ’72 200, then a ’78 750 triple, then I bought my XS SG in 1980. I now ride an ’88 FXR Super Glide, but when I need to go fast, I still take the XS for a spin.
            Rick
            '80 SG
            '88 FXR
            '66 Spitfire MK II

Comment

fxrer - You still got that old SG? What's it look like....miles...etc?

Comment

Maximan,

Yes, I still ride it frequently (in warm weather) - it has about 32k miles, and runs excellent. When the girlfriend and I go riding, she rides the FXR (because she's short and the HD has a low seat height), so I am on the XS. It's still very smooth and leaves the HD in its mirrors.

It's pretty stock - different paint and crash bars. I thought I had a picture, but will take and post one as soon as the snow melts.

Rick
                Rick
                '80 SG
                '88 FXR
                '66 Spitfire MK II

Comment

It's still very smooth and leaves the HD in its mirrors.
                  Well duh!

I thought I had a picture, but will take and post one as soon as the snow melts.
                  Cool I'd love to see it.

Comment

Yep, Maximan, she was/is a great ride. I had just finished restoring her (riding restoration) from the ground up when I could/did afford a Valkyrie (my first ever NEW ride).

She's still running strong.

CUAgain,
                    Daniel Meyer
                    Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
                    Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

That is SWEEEEET!

I bet you miss her.

Bob Jones at Merriam Cycles in KC area has one similar to that.

It's not a Midnight but it is really nice too.

http://www.usa123.bizland.com/merria...ml/bike20.html

Comment

Working...
                      X