need a helping hand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need a helping hand

hi.i was lucky enough to obtain a windjammer fairing and all three original panniers by vetter for my xs. i'm new to the forum and dont know all the ropes. i'm looking for a indicator cover for the left side of my fairing and nobody in sa seems to even know where i can begin looking for one.is there anybody out there who can point me in the right direction. thanks

Best bet for Vetter parts is on eBay; do a search on Vetter and a bunch of stuff will come up.

For backround info on Vetter fairings and accessories look over Craig Vetter's web page at:

http://www.craigvetter.com/pages/Vet...ings-main.html

There are a few different models of Vetter fairings. The early ones did not have built-in indicator lights, but I believe all of the later ones that do use the same light assembly. Unlikely you will find just the lens; used units are generally sold as a complete assembly.

Use the Search tab at the top of your page and use Vetter as a search term. You will find plenty of past threads dealing with these items!
    Jerry Fields
    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
    '06 Concours
    My Galleries Page.
    My Blog Page.
    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a pannier?

Comment

hard or soft saddlebags, bro'
        '79 Special

Comment

Fairing

I just removed a windjammer fairing from my bike last night, what part do you need? The fairing was set on this frame that is bolted to the frame and I want to loose that too but there seems to be a raidiator (air cooled just looks like a radiator) mounted to it and can't figure where that goes if I loose the fairing frame. Any thoughts?

Comment

The radiator you speak of is probably an oil cooler. Does it have hoses leading to the oil filter cup? Wanna get rid of it?

Comment

oil cooler

Yup leads right to the oil filter cup. Can/should I get rid of it? If I keep it where do I put it? Do you think it was there due to the reduced air reaching the engine from the fairing? Thanks

Comment

The Vetter mount uses 2 factory-provided bolt holes in the frame. If you take the Vetter frame off the oil cooler will bolt into the holes previously used by the Vetter.

There have been many discussions on the oil cooler. Not a bad idea to have, but the hoses are now 24 years old and should be replaced, ideally with SS hoses.

The lines go down to an adapter plate that is sandwiched between the oil pan and oil filter housing. If you remove the cooler you will need to remove the adapter plate as well. Not a problem as the adapter has an oil filter bolt extension built into it, you use your original oil filter bolt and it will work just fine without the adapter plate.

If you do keep the cooler and replace the hoses, consider adding a thermostat (oil bypass) to the system. This will allow the oil to warm up to working levels before going through the cooler. Thermostats are available in a few different tempterature settings, the 180 degree F units seems to be good all-around performers.

Oil cooler will drop your oil's working temp by around 20 deg F. Since in our air-cooled engines the oil plays a great part in engine temps, a 20 degree drop is significant, particularly if you live/ride in hot climates or put extra stress on your bike, like carrying a passenger or pulling a small trailer. In the US, only the '81 Standard had the factory installed cooler, (dealers could put it on other models as well) but in Europe a far greater number had oil coolers from the factory.

There are after-markets units out there that can be fit to our bikes, but that OEM adapter plate makes a nice, neat, and efficient installation.
                Jerry Fields
                '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                '06 Concours
                My Galleries Page.
                My Blog Page.
                "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Working...
                X