special or aftermarket master cyl for LG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• special or aftermarket master cyl for LG

I have a Midnight Special with flatter aftermarket bars. I don't like the tilt in the OEM LG front master cylinder on these bars.

I was going to buy the partsnmore aftermarket one, but I do have access to the master cylinder off a 79 special.

Question: Will the special master cylinder have the tilt of the LG's and would anyone who has tried this swap recommend I just use that (maybe rebuild the plunger first) rather than buy the partsnmore one?

The reason I'm asking here instead of just checking is the 79 special parts bike is 500 miles away, and if I have to order the partsnmore one, I would need to do it before I'll have access to the special again.

Thanks.

I just (last week) installed "superbike" bars on my LG. These bars are lower, flatter, and narrower, that the bars on my E. I also installed the PnM master cylinder and I'm extremely happy with the set-up.
    Pat Kelly
    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
    1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
    1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
    1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

"superbike" bars
      Got a pic of those bars? Mine are OK, but they are a little more narrow than I'd like. I'd like to replace them.

Where did you buy the superbike bars?

Comment

The M/C from an LG is the same as a Special. It will have the same angle. The Midnight Specials are basically the same as a regular Special, other than the gold trim and blacked out everything. I think the LH's have a linked brake system, like the ZXJ11, and the 80 LG doesn't. Most any Japanese bike M/C will work, as long as the displacement/bore size is the same, hose attaching points are the same, and the bike has 7/8 inch bars. For example, there's no reason a Suziki M/C shouldn't work on an XS11, as long as the displacment/bore are the same.

Comment

$19.95 off Ebay. The seller has them listed all the time along with dragbars (flat, no rise, almost straight).
          The superbike bars are 29" wide, 4" rise, 5" sweep to the rider.

Stock bars on my E (std) are 31" wide, 8" rise, and 11" sweep.

Stock bars on the LG are 25" wide, 8" rise, and 14" sweep (severe angle).

I do notice more effort required with the narrower bars.
          Cable/hose length is an issue too. I'll be swapping to cables from a standard and will ask for custom length when I go to SS brake hoses.
          Stock mirors are useless except for looking beside you. I can't see behind me at all.
          I'll send you a pic off-list as I can't link to Yahoo photos and I don't want to register to yet another service (photodump, etc.) just to post photos here too. Pics of my bike(s) are on the Yahoo Group site.
          Pat Kelly
          <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
          1999 Suburban (The Ship)
          1968 F100 (Valentine)

Comment

Thanks. I'll measure the ones I have on and then look up those bars.

I'm obviously dealing with the cable issue, as well.

The best routing for the stock clutch cable I found was in front of the speedo. I can't see the needle when it's at 55, but it seems to work the best to avoid binding.

The brake line has this massive "S" curve. I have to fix it sooner rather than later.

Comment

Hey Sinter,

I've seen extra long cables for the XS11 for Clutch/throttle on Ebay, can't remember the vender, they do make them!!!
              T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I'm looking for shorter cables. I'll be using cables from a Standard on my LG.
                Pat Kelly
                <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                1968 F100 (Valentine)

Comment

The M/C from XS11 Standard does not have the slanted bowl mount.

Standard M/C

Special M/C
                  DZ
                  Vyger, 'F'
                  "The Special", 'SF'
                  '08 FJR1300

Comment

Good photos.

You know what...now that I think about it, the parts bike might be a standard and not a special.

Comment

I have clip-on bars on my Standard the stock clutch and throttle cable. I use a brake line from a XS400 (shorter). I used cable routing to use up the extra cable length on the clutch and throttle.

I fabricated a gauge cluster extention to move the gauges forward about 2". The clutch cable does not cover the speedo.
                      Last edited by Dennyz; 02-01-2005, 01:28 PM.
                      DZ
                      Vyger, 'F'
                      "The Special", 'SF'
                      '08 FJR1300

Comment

Mirrors

I went to Bar-End mirrors. They work great. I have perfect rear visability. I can see 1 lane either side of my lane in both mirrors 50' behind the bike. They don't seem to vibrate as bad a the stock mirrors either.
                        DZ
                        Vyger, 'F'
                        "The Special", 'SF'
                        '08 FJR1300

Comment

DennyZ how about a lik or photo of that mirror??
                          Thanks!
                          Don
                          99 Valkyrie Interstate named Drakker

81 XS1100 H Peppylebleu sold and gone to a good home

81 XS1100 Midnight Special Peppyledeux sold and gone to another great home

Comment

Here is a link to my Bikes WEB page. It has some pictures of the mirrors.

Vyger
                            DZ
                            Vyger, 'F'
                            "The Special", 'SF'
                            '08 FJR1300

Comment

Working...
                            X