'81 CDI needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '81 CDI needed

Anybody out there got a '81 (4RO) CDI they could sell ?

There's an owner in the UK who needs one, he's not on the 'World Wide InterWebNet' so I'm posting for him.

He sent his old CDI off for repair, got told it wasn't repairable and didn't get it back.

Here's your chance to help get an XS back on the road.
    Brian
    XS1100 LG "Mr T", SG "ICBM" & FJ1200
    Check out the XS Part Number Finder

Be not stingy in what costs nothing as courtesy, counsel and countenance.

The 4RO's are very hard to find, even over here. If he can't find one, then conversion to the entire ignition system of the 78-80 will work. There are alot more of those out there than there is the 4RO.

Comment

Hmmm

He might have to do that. How difficult is the conversion to the older ignition ? What's involved ?
      Brian

Comment

Just remove the entire contents from under the left engine cover, (pick up coils and the rotor, and wiring), change out the TCI and replace with the same components from the older bike. Not difficult at all. It shouldn't take much more than one hour. You must be sure to swap everything, because I don't think any of the stuff is interchangable.
        I'm picking up an 81SH next week my self, and from what I gather from the owner, it may need a TCI also, but Randy Rago can repair them now, so I don't know what I'll have to do until I actually start to work on it. If the TCI is beyond repair, I'll be doing the same swap I just described for your friends' bike.

Comment

Thanks a million John, I'll pass on your advice.

Good luck with your 'new' SH !
          Brian

Comment

Hey John,

Just an FYI, Randy can repair the 2H7 series, but not the 4RO's!! He can't get the Eproms or whatever they are that have the centrifugal advance curves as part of their programming. He can repair cold, poor solder joints, but if the IC's are fried, then the TCI is also fried!
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

TC

I work in the "hi tech" industry. I should be able to make a "copy" of a good prom, if I can find one. The company I work for has all types of "chip level" equipment, and if Randy or someone can send me an 80 box, I shouls be able to make a work around.
              Just a thought, so you know nothing is impossible!!

Ray
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG
              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Brian:

I wouldn't worry about the advance IC being fried, out of all of the TCI's I've repaired over the years NONE of them had fried the IC. Either the final output transistors or the solder joints were bad. If you need it repaired, PM me.

Ray,

The issue with that advance IC is that I can't get specs on it, so I'm unsure whether it's an eprom, and eeprom or an a/d converter. By the looks of it and the fact that it has heat sinks at either end leads me to believe that it's some sort of a/d decoder - final driver.

Hitachi did not release the specs to Yamaha, and Hitachi will not respond to my numerous requests for schematics and parts specs on the TCI units.

I had a lengthy discussion about this with Ron the Service Dept rep at the Yamaha booth during the Javits motorcycle show last weekend. He noticed my XS11 hat and had plenty of good things to say about XS11's I thinks he's an XSive at heart!

Ron verified that Yamaha never was able to get full specs on any of their OEM'd electronic modules like the RLU, TCI and others. The manufacturers kept the circuit designs prorietary and would only release pinout diagrams and pin function info. That's why in most of the repair manuals they only show an empty box with pinouts. So, there we are. If you'd like to do your own research, the Hitachi part number is:

HA1825P

Good luck, and please let me know what you discover.

Randy

Comment

HA1825P Datasheet

Hello to All Friend,
                  Please help me.
                  I am looking for Datasheet or pin decription from IC HA1825P ( manufacture : Hitachi ).

Thank

brc

Comment

I have a 4RO sitting here with no bike to use it on. I do not know if it is any good and I am not sure how to go about testing it. It was on my 81LH which now has a 79SF motor and TCI in it. Is there any easy way to find out if it is good. What are they worth these days?
                    2-79 XS1100 SF
                    2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                    80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                    Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

here's another avenue

for those of you on the "EURO" side of the world
                      http://www.elektronik-sachse.de/ZDG3/frset_zdg_en.htm

made an enquiry myself and this is what they sent back

the system will totaly replace the exististing inductive pickups, vacuum advance and box. The original connector of the ignition box will be removed and the cables reconnected to the system plug of the new box:

the box being a ten pin block, there's a wiring diagram but it won't come thru with the copy & paste.
                      never ride faster than your gaurdian angel
                      can fly

1981 rh 5N5
                      MIDNIGHTSPECIAL
                      1188cc
                      4 into 1 pipes with a transac muffler,
                      as the motorcycling gods intended everything else stock std

http://s856.photobucket.com/home/steptoexs11
                      http://steptoexs11.webs.com/
                      http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhum

1982 vf750 sabre

Comment

I still have one for sale in the FS section.
                        '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Many thanks to those guys that have tried to help me out, but please note that my original request for an '81 CDI that started this thread was made in January 2005. The problem was sorted out years ago.

The confusion has been caused by a newbie - brc - bringing the dead back to life by posting in a five year old thread.
                          Last edited by Lamric; 12-17-2009, 12:05 PM.
                          Brian

Comment

LMAO... Now that's some funny stuff right there! lol.

Tod
                            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                            '06 Suzuki DR650
                            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                            '81 XS1100 Special
                            '81 YZ250
                            '80 XS850 Special
                            '80 XR100
                            *Crashed/Totalled, still own