More 2nd Gear Mods.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More 2nd Gear Mods.

After having ongoing problems with 2nd. gear slip I decided to investigate further taking measurements after reassembling the 'box without #1 selector fork and then reassembling with all new parts and after all relevant bits were checked OK. What I found was that the throw of the fork was 0.216", the clearance between the gears 0.092" and so with fork insitu total engagement was only 0.124"! By my reckoning it should be possible to improve the engagement by at least 50 or 60 thou. by spacing the 2nd. gear wheel closer to 5th. gear wheel. As it is, the dogs only half engage with the 2nd. gear wheel and surely that must increase the chances of it slipping. My question to those who might know would be, is there possibly a reason for these gears not engaging fully? Will it affect the way it changes or do you really need to have 92 thou. clearance to stop gears clashing? Tell me if I'm wrong, but seems to me like a design fault.

2 nd. gear

Hey OZXS All the info. you need in the maintence forum also a lot on Site Map. Check it out.. bkr

Comment

More 2nd. gear

OZXS Should have told you go to Transmission Repair in maintence. All kinds of info.. bkr

Comment

There is a thrust washer that limits how far 2nd gear engages 5th gear. A common mod is to move that thrust washer to the other side of 2nd gear, permitting deeper engagment into 5th gear.
        DZ
        Vyger, 'F'
        "The Special", 'SF'
        '08 FJR1300

Comment

2nd gear mod

hi
          i hvae moved the washer to the other side of the gear and also machined the gear to take a extra washer for presure on the circilp.you must shampher the washer to fit the gear shaft properly.almost 1 year now and no problems.it took me 2 weeks to do 2 xs1100 2nd gear fixes this way from running to running with 2nd gear.i had the whole garage to my self as the wifw was in england.it is easy to do.
          cheers
          jim garvey
          xs1100h
          2x xs1100rh
          it400f yamaha
          cr250m honda soon

Comment

Thanks to you all. I've decided to space 2nd wheel gear out by 1.6mm (0.062") which is about 1.5 times more than the existing washer and which still seems to leave plenty of clearance. Even then the engagement is only 75-80% and I reckon you could go further but being conservative as I am.... Something that does become a problem, is when you go to put the drive axle back in, because 2nd gear is up against 5th pinion gear it won't fit into its bearing!! Has anyone else found this? bkr; I had a look at the info on the site but didn't find anything about this, although that doesn't mean it's not there! Splitting the case would be one way out of this, but being impatient I ground the end of the shaft as it doesn't affect how it goes together anyway.

Cheers.

Comment

Move Washer

Hey OZXS Had the same prob on my XJ ,would not fit with washer moved so i done the Dremel Fix. Worked great after that. bkr

Comment

Thanks bkr,
                Bit of a worry this! Hope I haven't jumped the gun doing the mods. I read on another thread were Dennyz mentioned that Yamaha may have designed it the way it is for better shifting. (Amazed myself when I found there were other pages to this forum). I wonder if anyone out there has had shifting problems after swapping over the washer? My 'in for a penny, in for a pound' attitude has got me in trouble before!

Comment

Hey there Ozxs,

I haven't done the washer swap, but after my Dremmel fix, the gears did hold together very well, to the point that I had to more forcefully shift OUT OF 1st gear into 2nd, but after some driving and shifting, it got easier, apparently the dogs probably got rounded slightly to allow easier disengagement. Been working fine for 4 years now! Good luck!
                  T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham
                  81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                  79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                  History shows again and again,
                  How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Shifting

Hey OZXS Have read plenty of info on this fine site , did not see anything about hard shifting after washer swap. My XJ got better as the Klm. went by, must be able to ride in your country this time of year ??? Give it a shot. Good Luck. bkr

Comment

2nd gear washer swap

hi
                      my bike shifts great and i have no problems at all almost 1 year now.i can be hard on shifting hard revs but mine is good.i also did the dremeil fix as well.i have 2 washers in mine though.

Comment

Thanks for that jimg1au.

You say you've put 2 washers in? Is that 1 washer on each side or 2 washers on one side, ie. moving the gear over 2 millimeters? As I mentioned earlier, after measuring the spacing of the gears, it seems possible to move it by as much as 2 washer thicknesses. Not being game to go all the way, I found a 1.6mm washer and spaced it with that. Anyway I feel assured in that you've had no problems.

Cheers.

PS. I've just read your previous post and can see it's 1 washer a side. I cheated a bit by putting a 0.5mm washer on the circlip side so only had to machine 1.1mm off the gear. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                        X