XS1100 engine in XS850 frame?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XS1100 engine in XS850 frame?

Anyone ever tried or knows if the engine of the 1100 will fit in the frame of an 850G without major mods?
    I restored my 850, but I'd like more power without having to restore another XS.
    Beside the exhaust and ignition, what else is diferent? The airbox maybe? I can instal air pods at each carb...
    Let me know
    Carpe Diem!
    1980 XS850G
    1973 CT70

without looking i think the frame were the engine sits might be alot narrower on the 850 than the 1100 what you need to do is measure the disstance beetween the engine lugs,the mounts on the long front bolt are at a disstance of 28cm,so what they are on the 850 you will have to check,

Comment

Do not put an XS11 engine in a Triple frame. That will be a death machine. The XS11 has a lot more power than it does suspension & braking. Any less frame/suspension under the XS1100 engine would be scary as H**L. There is not room for large enough tires either. Most XS11 owners would like a wider tire than we can use due to swingarm & driveshaft clearance.

If you want your XS850 to run better, buy a new set of flatslide mikuni's. The cheaper alternative is a set of XS750 carbs. They are CV mikuni's and bolt right on an xs850,. They are Much better and More tunable than those horrible factory Hitachi carbs. Get a jet kit for an xs750 and a set of 79 xs750 carbs with some k&n pod air filters. Then have a Custom 3 into 3 exhaust made, so it can Breathe.

my riding buddy had a 79 XS750 which I rode often. I could ride good wheelies on that bike. I have also had it to about 120mph. It ran good but would not hang with my XS11 SH. He could try to pass me and I could do the 5th gear roll on. About the time he got beside me, I steady pull away into Insano Speed. With my feet still on the rear pegs, lol.

You best bet is one of those 900cc Big bore kits, and flatslide carbs. Bout all the power you can get out of a XS850 without nitros, turbo, supercharger, etc.

When you get the big bore and the carbs, drop me a note. We can get together and see if it will run with a bone stock 81 xs11.

Truth be told, I have a new Jardine 4-2 exhaust and another set of carbs I installed a K&N jet kit into. But I am so happy with the way the bike runs, I am not changing a thing.

Just my 2 cents.
      Bill Woods
      1981 Yamaha XS1100SH (Eleven Special)
      1985 Kawasuki GS425 Mojave ATV
      2006 Yamaha Wolverine 450 4x4 ATV

Comment

Working...
      X