Broken Fairing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken Fairing

The stock (vetter?) fairing on my '79 XS1100 cracked and no one seems to want to fix it (won't even quote me a price). What are my options? Vetter is out of business I believe and I don't have the parts to convert the bike to a "no fairing" configuration. Any help out there?

Have you checked E-Bay yet? There are usually several on there at reasonable prices. Watch shipping though. That is a last resort if you can't fix it....
    Don
    99 Valkyrie Interstate named Drakker

81 XS1100 H Peppylebleu sold and gone to a good home

81 XS1100 Midnight Special Peppyledeux sold and gone to another great home

Comment

Actually, Craig Vetter is still around. Among other things, he is selling a repair kit for broken fairings that may be just what you're looking for. Look at the bottom of the page.
      Ken Talbot

Comment

I've had my Pacifico fairing repaired a couple of times. The last time was having the area that the windshield mounts to spliced (2 seperate fairings) together.
        The thing is that these fairings are made of plastic and not fiberglass. Fiberglass patches will not adhere to the plastic (believe me I tried).
        They have to be 'plastic welded'. Plastic welding kits are available at Harbor Freight for about $40. Uses plastic rod and hot air (heating element heats the air from your compressor to direct the heat and melt everything together).
        You also have to make sure you use the right kind of plastic for the repair. PVC won't stick to ABS for example.
        As an irony to that, the Pacifico used both ABS and PVC for the inner and outter halves of the fairing shell and they are epoxied together.
        Pat Kelly
        <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
        1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
        2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
        1999 Suburban (The Ship)
        1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
        1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

You can get a plastic welder from Harbor Freight for about 50 bucks. You might want to pop-rivet in a couple aluminium gussets to keep it from cracking next time.

I have a stock full faring and lowers by Pacifico that need work but I'd give them to anybody that needs it for parts. You pick up or pay the frieght.

Geezer
          Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

turbo dave is takeing his faring off ask him if he wants to sell,i donot know the diff beetween the farings you have over the pond,all that i do know is they are damm ugly.i have just got a faring for a martini model now that is a nice one.

Comment

Working...
            X