Turn Signal Running Light Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turn Signal Running Light Conversion

I have read the tip about turning my signal lights into running lights several times. Now that I actually have a running bike to convert I am interested in doing it! My question is about finding a red lens for the rear. I see that MikesXS has red lenses for the XS650. Does anyone know if they will fit the XS1100 special?Thanks! Chad
    1980SG "NORTH STAR"
    1980SG "BLUE BEAR""PRESENTLY DISMANTLED"
    WANTIN' FOR THE ROAD
    CUZ THE DIRT CAN HURT!

I've converted every bike I've ever owned. They've always lit up amber (illegal in Calif) but I've never been cited for it. Even when CHP went out of their way to follow me looking for a reason to pull me over.
    I think the amber light to the rear makes me easier to notice in traffic and easier to see in the fog (gets quiet heavy here at times).
    I would imagine that if you used a red bulb (standard or LED) that the red light would show through the amber lens though maybe not as bright.
    Since my MN Special dosen't have running lights up front I'll be converting both front and rear (actuall the PO had a 2nd set of turn signals mounted to the cruising pegs and they were running lights. I removed them)
    Pat Kelly
    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
    1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
    1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
    1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Thanks Pat! I just finished running the part numbers on www.powersportspro.com and it appears that the 1980 xs650 specialII and the 1980 xs1100 special have the same lens ! So I believe I will order a set from MikeXS and then see what looks better to me! I am with you personally! I like the amber better, but if the law should give me a problem I will have them! Thanks! Chad
      1980SG "NORTH STAR"
      1980SG "BLUE BEAR""PRESENTLY DISMANTLED"
      WANTIN' FOR THE ROAD
      CUZ THE DIRT CAN HURT!

Comment

Watch for the depth of the two lenses. The XS lens is almost an inch deep, and the others (like the ones from my 750 Special aren't near as deep. I think the deeper lens is so the light can be seen from the side better.

Comment

In case this thread goes there...I tried clear lens (Denis Kirk) with red bulbs. It just didn't look too bright to me, and the red bulbs shine more like orange.

Originally posted by Pat Kelly
          I would imagine that if you used a red bulb (standard or LED) that the red light would show through the amber lens though maybe not as bright.
          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Working...
          X