Switching Exhausts... Rejet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switching Exhausts... Rejet?

I've got a '79 XS1100SF with 83k on the clock. My exhaust downpipes are pitted and my left muffler keeps cracking just below the driver footpeg. I've had it welded 3 times, and it keeps cracking.

I've got a set of aftermarket dwnpipes on their way to me, and I've aquired a set of unused mufflers from a 2000 HD Road King (they were free, and they're long enough to keep from fouling the chrome on my saddlebags). Switching to these mufflers will eliminate the exhaust crossover pipe that runs between the original mufflers.

Will my bike still run smoothly? What function does that crossover serve? Will I have to rejet my carbs?
    '79XS1100SF "Little Timmy"
    '66 Thunderbird

Will my bike still run smoothly?

Your bike should run fine, at least as well as it did before the mufflers. Many folks have installed Harley mufflers.

What function does that crossover serve?

The crossover is to balance the exhaust pulses between the right and left side. While there are some performance advantages, most is in the sound of the exhaust. Usually the crossover will reduce the throbbing (beat frequencies) between the two sides.

Will I have to rejet my carbs?

You probably won't need any jetting changes. Any fine tuning can be done with the float level if you feel the need.
    DZ
    Vyger, 'F'
    "The Special", 'SF'
    '08 FJR1300

Comment

Thanks for the info, Denny. I'm still new to motorcycles, and have always gone totally stock with my auto restorations. I'm still a little nervous about non-OEM parts. I'm gonna go for it, then, and I'll post again if I encounter any problems. You guys are geniuses and I'm grateful for all of your tried & true advice.

-Ted
      '79XS1100SF "Little Timmy"
      '66 Thunderbird

Comment

I've got a set of aftermarket dwnpipes

Where did you find them, also keep us informed of the project. I'm doing a down to the last nut restore on my 78E right now and would be very interested in the outcome of this mod.
        There's always a way, figure it out.
        78XS11E

Comment

Working...
        X