XS1100SF Mirror Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XS1100SF Mirror Question

Were the original mirrors for this bike round or rectangular? The promotional photos show bikes with no mirrors. I know the Standards had rectangular lights and, I would assume, rectangular mirrors.

Since the Special had round headlight and signals, were the original mirrors also round? My Special has rectangular mirrors off of a newer XS, maybe an 81?. They are all black, including the mounting stem, and they have molded rubber fittings where the mirror attatches to the stem.

I've been trying to find round mirrors that will fit a Yamaha (reverse thread). JC Whitney only has round mirrors for non-Yamaha. Anybody out there have a source for them? Anybody out there with round mirrors that wants to trade for rectangular?

Does anybody know with certainty which mirrors I should have?
    '79XS1100SF "Little Timmy"
    '66 Thunderbird

I posted on another thread the irony of the Standards (square lights/gauges) having round mirrors.
    The Specials (round stuff) have square mirrors.
    The Midnight Special (all black and gold ) has chrome tank and side cover badges.
    On my MN Special I'm going to swap the gold tank emblems with my Standard E. One side cover has ½ the "Midnight Special" emblem missing so I think I'll have that logo airbrushed on, in gold.
    Pat Kelly
    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
    1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
    1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
    1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

hi you can get round mirrors very cheap brand new from www.partsnmore.com

i have the round on my sf and want square ,i live in england tho ,so probably keep the round and get square so i can see which i prefer most!!!

just wondering why you want round ??

i have 3-4 original pics some have round some have square and some have none and i think square looks best ,even with the round light (personall taste i spose maybe i have none!!!)
      Don't put all yer eggs into one basket ,,,case

Comment

It's my understanding that the rectangular mirrors are still available from Yamaha. I've read on other forums that the Yamaha mirrors are far superior to those available aftermarket.
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

I prefer the rectangular mirrors cause they give me a wider range of view than the round ones do, so I can keep track of traffic further beside and behind me without having to wrench my head/neck around so much!!

The aftermarket mirrors are mixed in quality, depending on which style/brand you get. The rubber mountings where the mirror attaches to the stalk definitely help in reducing vibrations which makes the view much clearer!

Aside from Partsnmore, you can also check out Dennis Kirk, they have wide assortment as well, with wide $$ range!!! Happy hunting, and pick what YOU LIKE the best!!!
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

mirrors

My local bike shop had an adapter that screwed into the Yamaha left hand thread on the mount, and converted it to right hand thread so that any other brand of mirrors would work. It raises the one mirror about 1 inch.
            Walt
            80 XS11s - "Landshark"
            79 XS11s
            03 Valkyrie
            80 XS Midnight Special - Freebee 1
            78 Honda CB125C - Freebee 2
            81 Suzuki 850L - Freebee 3

Comment

I ordered a real nice set of rectangular chrome mirors for my '79 Std. from JCWhitney and I have been very happy with them. They were threaded correctly for both sides too.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/E...069989/c-10111

JC Whitney also has nice chrome grips to fit our bikes with 7/8" bars. They make a real comfort improvement. They are large diamiter like today's modern bikes have.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...X/appId-198540

Check them out on my bike at the link on my signiture.

Bubba
              Bubba1954
              (aka) Shannon Koehn
              Hutchinson, KS
              http://www.fototime.com/inv/0EE87CEC5C8C774

Comment

Working...
              X