Spark Plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spark Plugs

I am in the process of trying to get my 1100SF to run again after I think what was water got in the tank. My guess is that it is condensation from the gas tank I used to add gas to the bike. It will try and turn over with no luck. Good spark but will not start. Anyway I read a thread about a guy with a simular issue and he drained the tank and changed the plugs and the bike started right up. Back to my question.....I went to buy NGK plugs but the store was out of my type. We cross ref and found that Champion, Autolite, Bosch, and SplitFire all offer plugs for the XS1100. I picked up 4 Champion standard plugs for about 1/2 the price of the NGK plugs that I have in her now. Is there really that big of difference in the plugs to warrant the huge price difference?
    "There are old bikers, and there are bold bikers, but there are no old bold bikers."

Probably the import factor, NGK is imported and Champion is a US brand. That's not to say that the Champions are MADE in USA, we've all been fooled by that before haven't we?

Before you go through the exercise of draining your tank, try draining it from the float bowl drains. That will drain every possible route that there may be water (if that's what your probelm is).

And when you drain it this way, do it with the petcock on "prime"

"Petcock my wife said, "I didn't know they made good pets!"

Cheers,

Randy

Comment

sparkplugs

I used to work for the Autolite sparkplug company and that experience has made me an ABC user. (Anything But Champion)

I could give you a list of technical reasons why I perfer any other brand over Champions. (But I won't.)
      Walt
      80 XS11s - "Landshark"
      79 XS11s
      03 Valkyrie
      80 XS Midnight Special - Freebee 1
      78 Honda CB125C - Freebee 2
      81 Suzuki 850L - Freebee 3

Comment

Why not let us in on it, Hobbit?

Randy

Comment

if you really want to know.

Hi Randy,

The main technical reason is that Champions use a "talc" powder to hold the insulator in the shell, if the powder is not packed hard enough, or it cracks, the insulator can not seat properly on the shell. This means that you lose the designed heat range of the plug.

On the resistor plugs, they use an actual piece of carbon for the resistor, hold it in place with a small coil spring and then bond the top plug terminal to the insulator to hold the whole assembly against the center electrode.

Most other brands use a heated compression seal to hold the insulator in the shell, and an epoxy resitance mix in the main part of the plug, that bonds to the top terminal piece and the center electrode and is then cured to assure strength and better electrical contact.

Unless Champion has changed their design, they are the only ones in the world still using this technology.
          Walt
          80 XS11s - "Landshark"
          79 XS11s
          03 Valkyrie
          80 XS Midnight Special - Freebee 1
          78 Honda CB125C - Freebee 2
          81 Suzuki 850L - Freebee 3

Comment

"Voodo mechanics"

Randy

Comment

I typically use NGKs, but have had to run Champions for the same reason (availability). The Champion plugs worked fine and where still in the bike when I sold it after 15K miles.

On the flip side, the two Specials I picked up last spring both had Champions in them. I had to do some tinkering to get them running well. I eventually purchased new NGKs for them and a nagging rough idle problem went a way on one of them.

It is nice to hear that the extra $$ I spend on NGKs might actually represent a better product.
              DZ
              Vyger, 'F'
              "The Special", 'SF'
              '08 FJR1300

Comment

You could check to see what you are getting out of the tank by disconnected the fuel line at the in line filter (you do have in line filterrs right) and drain a little fuel in to a clear glass jar if theres water it will separate out and go to the bottom. Try and drain the carbs into a clear jar as well lets you know what you getting. I have never had to change plugs to get something to run after it had a dose of water.

As for plugs I always try and use the same ones as the manufacturer. so the bikes get NGK, I'ts really not much more than pocket change in savings to go with something else.
                Russ Neal
                Milton, NH
                04 GL1800 ABS
                04 Kawasaki Concours(Sold)
                99 Royal Star Venture(Sold)
                80 XS1000 Special(Sold)
                83 XJ750 Midnight Maxim(Sold)
                80 XS1100G(Sold)
                81 XS 650 Special(Sold)

Comment

Water will always sit at the bottom, under petroleum. That's why I suggested draining at the carbs, so all of the lines, tank and bowls get flushed.

Randy

Ditto on the plugs. NGK is all I ever use.

Comment

"Petcock my wife said, "I didn't know they made good pets!"

Cheers,

Randy [/B][/QUOTE]

They do, but they need constant attention.

Comment

Once in an auto parts store, a long time ago, in a city far away, we stuck an ohm meter on a bunch of plugs.
                      All were for the same application.
                      We found that Champion had the most resistance and Autolite had the least resistance.
                      I don't remember what all brands we checked or what the values were. This was in my previous life. I just remember the highs and lows.
                      I'm currently using Bosch Platinums in my E, NGK's in my LG
                      Pat Kelly
                      <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                      1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                      2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                      1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                      1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                      1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

In the beginning NGK copied champion then NGK improved and took more market share. After many years Champion returned the favor and copied the improvments NGK had made.

I think ND makes the best plugs with Bosch as a close second. I run Bosh Platnium plugs in my bikes and I'm more than happy with them. Around here the go for a about a buck more than NGK and since I only change them once a year, the 4 buck extra isn't a big deal.

I used to run Champion plugs in my Guzzi and my Norton before that and never had any problem with them but I also changed them more often than most people do.

Geezer
                        Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Thanks for all the help. My 79 is running like she was new. I drained the carbs then the tank and added fresh gas but still not able to start. Replaces the plugs with new Champions and after one loud back fire from the right side pipes she started right up. This was late Friday night so I'm sure my neighbors were glad to hear the gun shot blast. I took the bike for a short run and it felt like she pulled MUCH harder than before when I opened her up. Maybe it's just my imagination. Now on to the charging issue and I will have her back to 100% I'm going to post a question on that so be on the look out.
                          Again thanks for the help!
                          "There are old bikers, and there are bold bikers, but there are no old bold bikers."

Comment

Working...
                          X