Oil filter washer issue...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil filter washer issue...

I changed the oil and filter yesterday and noticed that the washer between the spring and filter is missing. I checked the local parts and hardware stores to no avail. Do I need the thing??
    Don
    99 Valkyrie Interstate named Drakker

81 XS1100 H Peppylebleu sold and gone to a good home

81 XS1100 Midnight Special Peppyledeux sold and gone to another great home

As near as I can see, the washer keeps the spring from cutting into the rubber underside of the filter. If mine came up missing I wouldn't lose any sleep.
    New one is available at BikeBandit:
    http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandit...me~XS1100E.asp
    Part # is:
    347461-001 (#5)
    Pat Kelly
    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
    1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
    1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
    1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

That washer is quite thin, and it tends to stick to the underside of the filter element - it often get overlooked/lost if the person changing the oil isn't paying attention. The good news is they are available and they don't cost a lot.
      Ken Talbot

Comment

Hey, Ken, nice avatar! Is that a crown? Should we call you King Kenny from now on?

Randy

Comment

Partsnmore also has them, however, they have their $30.00 minimum limit, the part is #15-0039, $1.00 ea!

Link to Oil Filter washer

T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Of course there is always the hardware store for a washer! Nothing special. Heck, it isn't going to rust in there!
            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Filter Washer

Any washer with the correct (even close) dimensions will work. Even if you have to take a rat tail file and open up the center will/would be OK. It only stops the spring from chewing into the filter. A little thicker would not matter either. This would just tighten up the spring pressure marginally.
              Ken/Sooke
              78E Ratbyk
              82 FT500 "lilRat"
              92 ZX11 Temptress

Comment

Thanks a lot King Kenny and minyons.

I found a larger washer this evening but it's very thick. I'll grind it down to size in the next day or so.
                Don

Comment

Got one for mine at the local YamaRobber PO had left it and the spring out it was about $5 for the spring and washer.
                  Not sure it's worth the effort to make one unless your in a hurry. I rode the 650 over to get it so it was kinda enjoyable and worth the 5 bucks. Alot of my projects are like that oh I need something its small so I might as well take the bike.
                  Russ
                  Russ Neal
                  Milton, NH
                  04 GL1800 ABS
                  04 Kawasaki Concours(Sold)
                  99 Royal Star Venture(Sold)
                  80 XS1000 Special(Sold)
                  83 XJ750 Midnight Maxim(Sold)
                  80 XS1100G(Sold)
                  81 XS 650 Special(Sold)

Comment

Good eye there, Randy! Not sure about the king part, but I was getting tired of the old avatar. To keep with the thread, I picked up a couple of spare oil filter washers from Parts-n-More when I was ordering a whole box load of bearings, seals, caliper kits, carb gaskets, and master cylinder rebuild kits, etc, etc a while back. First person to post the part number(s) (here in this thread) of the item now showing in my avatar gets one (an oil filter washer that is).

don07tncav - here's your chance!
                    Ken Talbot

Comment

Parts Identification

It is a clutch Hub Part#2H7 Z 53--- -00.
                      Don't need the washer, so did not complete the number but, am I close?
                      Ken/Sooke

Comment

Close, Ken, but you might want to put on your reading glasses..
                        Ken Talbot

Comment

Parts ID

OK with the glasses on I come up with: Part Number 2H7 253- - 00-00.
                          Two missing digits for those that want to claim your washer. Personally I would simply jury rig up any washer. It would be cheaper than the postage and only take a few moments to create. Just file away the fact that you need to acquire the proper washer by the next oil/filter change. Tee Hee
                          How is your Special restoration coming? From what I hear you are right into it with powder coating and the whole 9 yards!
                          Almost ready to license and insure the Temptress. (ZX1100 Kawi)
                          Next break into good weather here on the coast and ICBC will get a pocket full of my $.
                          Take care, I know you will keep busy.
                          Ken/Sooke

Comment

Parts ID

Don't know if they're all the same, but if it was on my 79F, it's

2H7-25366-00-00 CLUTCH, HUB. Part of the final drive at the rear wheel.

Don't need the washer, either, but I can't resist a quiz! Send the washer to Don!

Last time I needed one, I got a couple of composite fiber washers at Home Depot. 3/4" ID X 1-1/2"OD. In the plumbing dept. They hold up fine.

Randy
                            Last edited by randy; 01-11-2005, 04:43 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the offer Ken but I have some of the plumbing washers out in the barn. I'll put one of those on the bike.

Dang, get off line, go to bed, miss a quiz. Life now stinks!! I'll give the kids at school a quiz to make up for it and even out the karma.
                              Don

Comment

Working...
                              X