Shifting troubles for a beginner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shifting troubles for a beginner

Well I was hoping that some of you could help out a newbie. I just picked up a 81 XS11 LH from a friend. Im one of those guys that just picked up the bike, never riding on before and don’t know anything about bikes aside from what Ive read here and there. Im planning to take one of those classes on riding and get my license.

So there’s the background info. Here’s the trouble. I have been trying to get a feel for shifting and general stuff before I take the class. Im having trouble shifting from neutral into first without the gears grinding. Im not sure if this is me the rider or if its that tranny problem that many people seem to have with the XS11. So I was hoping someone could maybe give me some tips or some tricks im missing to getting it into gear. I doesn’t seem to have any problems getting from first to second etc. only Neutral to First.

Thanks in advance.

Brad

Clutch

First how fast is the bike idling, 1000 to 1100 is about right that can be adjusted under the carbs in the rear middle u will see a star nut . adjust that ,. If its idling slow enough then u might need to adjust the clutch. Look to ur left click on forum scroll down to maintence and repairs i think it will tell u how to adjust it there. On the xs you need to pull the clutch and wait a few seconds for things to stop turning, as well as having it warmed up well the clunk is normal, going in and during shifting. Good luck riding an 1100 for ur first bike , take it from and old biker be careful.....................MITCH
    PS: welcome to the site of excessviness
    Doug Mitchell
    82 XJ1100 sold
    2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
    2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
    1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
    47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

1st Gear Clash

Most XS's have the same symptons that you describe. A lot of us on the fist shift into neutral from start up will after allowing a few moments for warm up will shut the bike back off. Then place in first gear, hold in clutch and hold brake on. Then restart. This breaks the dragging clutch loose and shifting becomes much smoother after this initial freeing up.
      Ken/Sooke
      78E Ratbyk
      82 ft500 "lilRat"
      92 ZX11 Temptress

Comment

As others in this and other threads have noted, the neutral to first gear "clunk" is normal. many of us experience it. Many who have had to repair the transmissions suffered more from what seams like the bike not wanting to remain in gear.

When replacing my clutch cable, I noticed some very interesting results based on how the mechanical adjustment is set. I followed the instructions in the manual which states
        adjust until positive pressure to the plate and then back off 1/4 turn. When I did that, I could not shift gears at at all. I changed it to backing off 1/8th turn and all was well.
        Owned by a pair of XS11's. An 80 Standard and a 79 Special.

Comment

Brad.

Welcome and congrats on your new ride. As mitch said, be careful. The XS is a whole lot of bike for a newbie.

Get yourself a good aftermarket maintenance manual. If the bike came with the factory manual, it will be good enough for now.

Follow the clutch adjustment / cable lube procedures in the manual.

As well as all of the good advice already posted, give her an oil change. Not only may that help your shifting, but it wouldn't hurt the rest of the motor either.

Randy

Comment

Thanks for all your reply’s,

Mitch- The bike after being warmed up a bit is idling around 1500 I might try to pull that down just a bit. Yes It is quite a lot of bike for a beginner I would agree I wasn’t planning to get something this big at first. MY friend was moving out of town and couldn’t take the bike so he sold it to me for an amazingly good price. So how could I pass it up.

ratbyk- Thanks I do believe that is exactly what is happening, and that’s its the same problem many of the rest of you have previously described. That explains why sometimes its shifts into first nice and smooth an seamless while most of the times its the clunk.

The first thing I did when I got the bike was picked up the Clymer manual. Second was change the oil and put in a new battery.
            About the 5th was start trying to adjust the clutch and I think I got it just right. I noticed the exact same thing you did thumperjsa if you back off too much you lose it all together.

So I expect the problem is one and the same as the one many of you express with your bikes. Well see how pulling back the idle speed changes things.

Thanks
            Brad

Comment

Working...
            X