Rear axle issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear axle issues

I've been trying to remove the rear axle on the F project, mostly to work on the brake caliper. I've been working on XS's for about 8 years now, but I've never seen anything like this...the spacer that goes between the caliper and brake arm (or whatever it's called) is frozen SOLID on the axle. The axle does spin freely, it's just that the spacer will not let the axle slide out. No amount of penetrating fluid or heat from the torch has made it budge. I have whacked it to death with a rubber mallet and with a regular hammer on the castle nut (I'm scared to death of ruining the threads). I need to invest in some kind of non-marring deadblow mallet to give it a bit more persuasion, I guess...I've even considered having my son hold the rubber mallet at the end of the axle, then swinging a sledge at the mallet. Any other ideas??...I'm stuck, quite literally.
    Tom Hunt
    Lawrence, KS

1981 XS1100H
    1998 Concours, 1984 PE175, 1974 GTMX

Use brass. Get a piece of Brass round stock 1" in diameter about 6" long use it between the regular hammer and the axle. I'd keep a nut on it as well.
    Russ Neal
    Milton, NH
    04 GL1800 ABS
    04 Kawasaki Concours(Sold)
    99 Royal Star Venture(Sold)
    80 XS1000 Special(Sold)
    83 XJ750 Midnight Maxim(Sold)
    80 XS1100G(Sold)
    81 XS 650 Special(Sold)

Comment

I wouldn't keep the castle nut on there while smacking it. for hammering purposes, I'd use a regular nut. I mashed one up pretty good a while back while trying to do the same thing on a front axle. I couldn't find one. After " making" the old one work, I found them everywhere.
      S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
      1-big XS patch
      1-small XS/XJ patch
      1-XS/XJ owners pin.
      1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
      2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
      1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
      1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

If you're worried about marring the castle nut, take it off an turn it around. thread it on so the back of it is as flat as possible, even with the end of the axle. Then you can wail on it.

Stupid question- you loosened the pinch bolt, right? I also find that after loosening the pinch bolt, a gentle wedging with a flat screwdriver in the gap can help loosen the axle.

Randy

Comment

How about tightening the pinch bolt to hold the axle still and trying to spin the spacer with some big-a** channel locks or a pipe wrench (if it'll fit)?
          Pat Kelly
          <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
          1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
          2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
          1999 Suburban (The Ship)
          1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
          1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Hmmm... thought I'd already replied to this but....???? Oh well.

I had one like this on mine. I used liberal amounts of penetrateing oil and then grasped the spacer with vice grips. Then turned the axle shaft. Took me a few days of penetrating oil and turning but eventually I got it out.

I think this happens because no one has taken the wheel off for a long time. I greased mine before I put it back together in the hopes that it won't rust again.
            Brian
            1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
            1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
            remembering the same thing!

Comment

OUPS...

I don't want to bring you bad news but I had same problem on a swing arm axle; the spacer was locked by rust. I've tried all you already did (and more...) WD 40 for 2 weeks, hammers bigger and bigger... nothing

The only way was to use a ... 12 tons hydrolic press ! This destroyed the axle, but saved swing arm and frame

I hope it will be easyer for you !

Good luck
              XS 1.1 '83 German model
              XS 1100 '81
              XS 750 77 Work in progress.
              XS 500 76 Restored
              XS 250 77
              XS 360 to be restored...
              TX 750 '73
              GTS 1000
              FJR 1300 (daily use)

Comment

I just went through that and have the cure!!!
                I held the spacer that is frozen with water pump pliers, and put a large screw driver in the axle. I then turned the axle, added more oil to the coller, and turned some more. I was able to get everything apart, and just have a few ridges on the coller.
                Trying to hit the axle to move it WILL NOT WORK. You need to spin the coller on the axle.
                Ray
                Ray Matteis
                KE6NHG
                XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I ran into something like that on my dirtbike.Except the wheel spacers were stuck to the wheel bearings.After a lot of soaking with oil and prying I finally got them out.There is a puller that goes through the axle and the hammer is on the shaft.You hammer by sliding the larger over the smaller.The closest thing I can think of is a dent puller.Check and make sure the thing is not in a bind.Good luck.It seems to help if you talk to it some also .
                  Bill Harvell

Comment

Working...
                  X