diming headlight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• diming headlight

hi all i have a little more headlight trouble . now as i drive at 3000 rpms headlight will dim just past it goes back to full power .only as i drive never at a stand still . thanks all joe
    Joe Bjordahl
    “speed don't kill it’s the sudden stops”
    Yamaha xs1100 are addictive
    1979 XS1100S
    1981 XS1100 MIDNIGHT
    1982 XS1100S DONER BIKE

Joe, might be dirty connections at the rectifier / regulator and the field / stator. Attach a voltmeter at the battery and run it. Rev it up and watch the voltage. It should rise as you rev the motor. Clean all of the contacts on the plugs that are located behind the fuse panel and at the rectifier / regulator. Do the same at the headlamp connections under the lamp housing.

Let us know what you find.

Randy

Comment

Also, check your fuse connections (corroded glass fuse thingys) and in particular, your negative battery cable where it attaches to the frame.
      CUAgain,
      Daniel Meyer
      Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
      Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

Re: diming headlight

Also check the Watt ratings on the headlight if isn't a sealed beam. If you are trying to use a high watt bulb, it will need substantial voltage & amps to reach full brightness. I went to Sylvania Silverstars at OEM rated watts and am very happy with the performance.

Originally posted by floridajoe
        hi all i have a little more headlight trouble . now as i drive at 3000 rpms headlight will dim just past it goes back to full power .only as i drive never at a stand still . thanks all joe
        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Silverstars

Hey Skids, I've been thinking about getting one of those ever since I saw the ad on tv. Is it that much brighter? Do you have a P/N for it? How much did it cost? Did you get it from an auto parts store?

Comment

Re: Silverstars

You can get them from an autoparts store. This is brighter than the bulb that was in that bike (unknown make).

It is a Sylvania Silverstar, 12volt, 60/55 Watts, #9003ST

PS, do not handle the glass bulb directly. Use tissue or something.

Originally posted by John
            Hey Skids, I've been thinking about getting one of those ever since I saw the ad on tv. Is it that much brighter? Do you have a P/N for it? How much did it cost? Did you get it from an auto parts store?
            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Re: Re: Silverstars

Oh yeah, I think the cost was something like $18.00, but I can't remember for sure. Well worth the money for seeing at night!
              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Comment

Bulbs

I use an 80/100 bulb i bought from Kimpex for 17.00 canadian, it has a lot more light than stock. www.kimpex.com
                MITCH
                Doug Mitchell
                82 XJ1100 sold
                2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
                2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
                1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
                47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

thanks all i dont know what it was headlight or connections . had to replace both headlight ring broke light fell out with pig tail down the highway now works great thanks joe
                  Joe Bjordahl
                  “speed don't kill it’s the sudden stops”
                  Yamaha xs1100 are addictive
                  1979 XS1100S
                  1981 XS1100 MIDNIGHT
                  1982 XS1100S DONER BIKE

Comment

Working...
                  X