XJ tail light monitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XJ tail light monitor

I have replaced my 1157 tail lights with LED's. They spin one direction a few times then reverse, then flash when brakes applied. Not as bright as I thought they would be and they don't give any light on the tag.
    Problem is they are not enough draw to clear the electronic monitor. Does anyone have an idea of the size of resistor to place across the circuit to create enough load to clear the monitor? I have changed my rear flashers with front running light flasher units and changed to red lenses, so I swapped out the tail light lead with one of the rear running light leads, but that was not enough load. I might make a pig tail to swap both rear running lights for the tail lights -- might be easier than the resistor and see if that works.

Thanks
    Guy

I changed every bulb on my 80SG to led. Then I purchased a two prong "Electronic" automotive flasher to replace the XS three prong. Everything works like a champ.
    Dan
    Delightfully Tacky,Socially unacceptable but yet unrefined
    81 XS Special with hack. We call her White lightning XSpectacular

Comment

Hey Guy,

Can't help with the resistor load, but did you read the fine print on those bulbs?? They(most) are NOT DOT appoved for on road use, only for Off road/bike show style use!!! The reduced light is why I cut out a section of the red tail light lens, but kept the inner clear diffusor, the RED leds showed much better/brighter that way, but can understand NOT wanting to go cutting on your tail light lens!!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Well, the web site claimed these were the only DOT approved spinning lights. I have removed the lense, and they are brighter. I have an old faded lense to play with.
        Problem is not with flashers, they are still the 1157 bulbs. The pig tail thing did not work as that only added the tail light circuit. After study of the wiring diagragm discovered that the monitor must work through both elements of the bulb and it takes only one bulb to make the thing work properly. Both tail and brake elements are connected to the monitor, so either both are monitored to ground or they are monitored through each other through the common ground. I may try a few experiments, sure don't want to knock out the electronics, even though I have a salvage unit.

Thanks
        Guy

Comment

Working...
        X