Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2nd gear problem - it's a problem with EVERY Yamaha?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd gear problem - it's a problem with EVERY Yamaha?!?

...I was looking for the "triples board' that Pat Kelley mentioned - it's actually http://www.yamaha-triples.org/

...and ran across "Bill's 2nd Gear Fix"
    THIS is NOT just an XS11 problem HUH?!?

Was this a problem at the Yamaha factory and the engineers couldn't figure it out at the time? Has there been an "official" Yamaha 'tech fix' that went out to the dealerships to address this issue?!?

...anybody know a real Yamaha mechanic that has the "inside scoop"?

I'd like to get as much information about this BEFORE I start tearing transmissions apart and doing an "instructional video" project - especially if several XS11 guys get together to work on this... WHY spend time on something that the FACTORY should've taken care of almost 25 yrs ago!!!! ...in other words "why re-invent the wheel" ?

...other's thoughts?
    inputs?

1980 XS1100SG

Yes, tripples and other Yamahas of the same general vintage have the same transmission design and therefore the same problems. Its is a bit worse in the 1100s because of the extra power. Fix is the same, replace with new gears that are tapered from the factory (increases engagement of the gears) or move the washer to the other side of the gear, which also increases engagement. Tapering the "dogs" was Yamaha's fix.

Not all bike are affected. Estimate was about 15 percent of the XS/XJ1100s had problems. Standards reported the fewest. Do a search on "2nd gear" and you will get tons of hits from past threads on this topic. For a full discussion of the repair, go to Ken Talbot's page at:
    http://www.rctvonline.net/xs11/
    Jerry Fields
    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
    '06 Concours
    My Galleries Page.
    My Blog Page.
    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Hey Uncle Spot,

It also showed up in the Vmax style engines of the Ventures in the early years as well, but since that engine was around a bit longer, they fixed it in production a few years later. There's a nice How To on the Ventures site as well. Like Jerry said, undercutting the gear facings(dogs and slots) was and is the fix, how you go about getting those is your choice, either shelling out $$ for new gears, or doing the Dremmel fix, I won't discuss the pros/cons that have been debated about that!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

...good place to start - thanks Jerry and T.C.!

...how about giving the 'gear in question' to a machinist; so it can "be done right"?
        ...anyone do that yet? ...the reason I ask is I know a GREAT machinist that can do *ANYthing*
        ...I'm not real crazy about doing a "Dremmel-fix" on something I may be riding at 80, 90, or 100mph...

1980 XS1100SG

Comment

http://www.yamaha-triples.org/forums...egory-view.asp
          is another triple site very similar to this forum. There was/is even the same debate as with the 1100's as to which is better, group or forum .
          For triples or quadruples I frequent all the info available.
          Pat Kelly
          <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
          1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
          2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
          1999 Suburban (The Ship)
          1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
          1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Pat,
            THAT is good info - is there a place that has *ALL* this info...? Like a "LINKs" section?

...also... Patrick Kennedy contacted me by PM about making some "instructional" videos/DVDs - it would be on things like 'general maintenance', 'carb rebuilds', 'transmission rebuild/2nd gear fix', etc.
            Your input would be extremely valuable.
            I have plans on rearranging my shop so we have 1)room, 2)adequate lighting, 3)enough heat (or AC) to be comfortable, etc...

Next step: ask the forum what THEY would like to see, in the form of XS11 "helpful hints"/maintenance etc.

I figure the more people that know about the "care and feeding" of these bikes the more you'll see on the road. Yamaha has made it pretty clear THEY don't want to work on something that's 25-plus-years-old. ...they are definitely NOT like the "Harley crowd" - where you still see Panheads, Knuckles, and Flatties from the '40s, '50s, and '60s on the road. I, personally think the XS11 is built better
            but that's just my 2ยข...

1980 XS1100SG

Comment

Movie Poll

I wish I was better at this confuser , I would suggest that a movie of just what you said Uncle, CARE AND FEEDING of such magnificent beasts as OUR 1100's.. Maybe I'm putting this in the wrong spot ..

Comment

I would like to see several topics on DVD. Before I mention them, I think it would be important to make sure the information is as accurate and acceptable as possible. For example, when people discuss changing a tire, there would be a bunch of different ways to do it, but which is best, and/or most commonly accepted among the fellow XSives?

I suppose changing a tire is a little bit of a simplified example, because it isn't based so much on theory. But jetting, reading plug color, etc., might be difficult.

Perhaps a good idea would be to take the Yamaha manual and demonstrate each section on camera, right down to a complete engine overhaul. I'd shell $$ to see someone gutting an XS engine or doing the 2nd gear fix to success before I plunged in.

Anyway, some things to think about. But before I go, I have to say how much I'd LOVE to see a video on the complete process of converting to fuel injection. Wow, would that be nice...

Ben
                1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
                1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
                1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
                1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
                1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
                1982 XS650
                1980 XS1100g
                1979 XS1100sf
                1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

uncle spot. try contacting bob jones at merriam cycles. he seems to be the authority on our bikes. here's his web site.

http://www.usa123.bizland.com/merria...tml/begin.html
                  when you want something bad enough, don't let anything stand in your way, and don't take "no" for an answer. EVER

graybird78
                  80 sg (old faithfull)

Comment

Working...
                  X