Oil filter bolt hole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil filter bolt hole

Well, I think I just made a huge mistake! I changed my oil and filter, started the bike, it was leaking from the filter housing. I decided to tighten the bolt a little more, and the casting that the bolt screws in to broke. If anyone has any ideas besides taking my bike to the salvage yard, I would greatly appreciate them. It appears as though it is a part of the lower main case. I can't imagine there is any way to fix it without dissasembling the whole engine. Has anyone else ever had this problem?
    bruce

Bruce, I assume that you are referring to the threaded hole that the bolt screws to, and not just the hole in the oil filter cover?

Where are you located? Your location is blank on your profile.
    If you are close enough, I can set you-up with another motor, if you case is not easily repaired.
    Mike

1980 SG "Angus"

Comment

Seems like I saw a post somewhere on a liquid thread repair kit.
      could have been here or on a Venture site looked but can't find it right now. Anyway it's a two part epoxy with a release agent you coat the bolt with the release agent mix the epoxy and put a fair amount in the hole screw in the bolt let it set for like ten minutes remove the bolt then wait for it to cure. If you do that alway use a new gasket and O-ring you just might get away with it. It might not hut to see if there's a welder around to put a bead of weld on the outside where its cracked they should be able to do that without removing the engine. What do got to lose. I'd try it. Worse that can happen is you gotta pull the engine. I've also used JB Weld like pipe dope in a similar situation on a fitting in a boat fuel pump. You'd probably never get the bolt back out but it would buy you time to obtain a used engine or the lower half of the crankcase so you wouldn't be down so long when you finally have to fix it right. Hope it works out for you.
      Russ Neal
      Milton, NH
      04 GL1800 ABS
      04 Kawasaki Concours(Sold)
      99 Royal Star Venture(Sold)
      80 XS1000 Special(Sold)
      83 XJ750 Midnight Maxim(Sold)
      80 XS1100G(Sold)
      81 XS 650 Special(Sold)

Comment

I had a similar problem - overtorqued the filter cover bolt and the head came right off in my socket!!! The flange under the screw is still in place - still trying to figure out how to get the crew out - luckily I put in a new filter and gasket before busting of the head.

Anyone have the same predicament - These old bikes get brittle and break at the strangest places some times!!!

Comment

Hey there XJ-Wxman,

Several approaches; tack weld a nut to it(remove your Ignition box, disconnect the battery first!); Drill it and and use some sort of easy out; take a grinder or Dremmel and try cutting some flat edges on the lip of the bolt to try to put a wrench on; try a pipe wrench, or Vise Grips on it!? A replacement bolt is easily found, either JCW less than $10.00 plus shipping, as well as other sources! Good Luck!
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks _ I'll try the various methods - already did the Vise-grips thing - the Filter cover is still in place - can't get a grip in the screw parts - I thought of epoxying anither nut on top, let it sit a few days then try to ease it off. The temps have been very cold for a good set of the epoxy so far .

Hoping for Spring soon - !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

OR

Or the old faithful.......... a Hammer and Chisel........, started many nuts and screws with them .....MITCH
              Doug Mitchell
              82 XJ1100 sold
              2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
              2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
              1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
              47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

Working...
              X