Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil cooler fitment ?????

Don't put all yer eggs into one basket ,,,case

Hi these are the 2 parts i have aquired ,seperately !!!

i have an sf 79 special ,fancy an oil cooler ,i know they dont

need one its just me wanting one!!

i have a 4 - 2 exhaust ,i want to fit a twin horn bracket if poss

can anyone tell me how cooler mounts and which model it is from

and also do all coolers have the filter adapter plate (ash tray )

i see the ends are different ,so i think my adapter is a pattern

part ,can i get this to fit my bike ( without the fags )!!!!

will it fit with the twin horns ,??? i have some showroom pics of sf with twin horns ,mine only has a single and is an original sf frame
    only noticed one bracket for fitting the horn bracket to is this right??

sorry for size of pics and scrolling !!!

basically will these parts fit a 79 sf ,with twin horns and 4 - 2 exhaust

and can i fit twin horns to a 79 sf ,and what horn set up are sf

meant to hjave

thanx see you

Comment

In the US, the '81H model came stock with the oil cooler. Optional on other models, pretty standard in European versions. Same cooler should fit all XS/XJ models with a couple points to consider. The '81H had a couple extra tabs welded to the frame that were used to secure the oil lines from contacting the header pipes. You will need to use something to perform the same function. Recommend replacing the factory lines, now 22+ year old, with new lines, prefereably stainless-steel units.

All the factory Yamaha coolers have the adapter plate. You don't show a critical component, which is the bolt that is part of the factory set-up. This bolt goes through the plate and attaches it to the oil sump, and the stock oil filter bolt screws into this adapter bolt. You gotta have it to make the install work right.

Also not shown in your photos, not necessary but nice to have, is a shroud that mounts to the cooler. Makes the installation look nicer. Most shrouds are black but some chrome units were also produced.

The oil cooler mounts to the frame under the handlebars; you will see two threaded spots in the frame. Some fairings use these same bolts; if you have a fairing you may need to get longer bolts or tinker with the mount. Fairings use 2 each 10 mm x1.25 pitch x 20mm long bolts.

The barb ends shown on you adapter plate are not the stock Yamaha ends. The ones you have were added to put on an aftermarket cooler such as a Lockhart. The Yamaha ends are on your cooler, and should have a bolt and O-ring that fit into the adapter plate. (Use new O-rings, BTW.) Ken Talbot has on on-line '81 H microfiche parts list, and the oil cooler is shown here:

http://www.rctvonline.net/xs11/b12.gif

I had to relocate the XJ's horns when I added the Vetter fairing. No big deal, just made a mount out of angle iron (old bed frame) and bolted it in with the fairing mounting bolts. I had to make up short horn wire extensions. The XJ uses 2 horns, 1 each high-tone and low-tone. You may want to upgrade to louder horns. Do a search on tech Tips or past threads on horns, turns out there are some really loud ones that can be fit or modified to fit.
      Jerry Fields
      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
      '06 Concours
      My Galleries Page.
      My Blog Page.
      "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Thanx Jerry have to go get more parts now !!!! i want the shroud as i like that and also the braided hoses !!!!have to search again ,may sell these and get complete thing save hassles ,took me a year to get these bits !!!!!!!

thanx Jerry for your help and the horn / starter buttons

fitted the starter button yesterday (what a babe !!!!)

it is real nice !!!!

see you merry christmas !!

Comment

I have one of those adapter bolts that belongs with the oil cooler you have. Contact me at Andreashweiss@yahoo.com

Comment

Gaffer,

FYI. Your adaptor plate looks identicle to the factory one mounted on my '79F full dress Touring model. The hose fittings are factory issue to be used with rubber lines and the Lockart cooler that Yamaha supplied on the full dress package back in '79. The cooler you bought must be from a late model bike. It looks nothing like the Lockhart cooler that came on both of my '79 Touring Dressers.

Bubba
            Bubba1954
            (aka) Shannon Koehn
            Hutchinson, KS
            http://www.fototime.com/inv/0EE87CEC5C8C774

Comment

Thanx i thought it looked different as well ,there is a shroud missing also this is the only cooler i could get hold of in 6mths of looking on ebay ( missed out on 3 - 4 ) ill have to use this till i get hold of another ( if i can )

Comment

BUBBA i love your bike ,very nicely turned out must be fantastic cruisin !!!!!!!!

Comment

Thanks Gaffer,

I was lucky to buy it from the original owner about a year ago. It had only 38,000 original miles on it when I bought it. I only got to put 2,000 miles on it this year. I had a Brown XS1100 just like it back in 1980 so I was familure with its strong and weak points when I bought it.

I rode a GL1500 Honda Goldwing before buying this bike and it compare very well with the Goldwing. Although the XS engine is not as smooth as the wing engine, it has the same horse power. The XS does has more torque at the lower end of the RPM scale, so its actually more driveable around town.

Hope both of your restorations go well. I sure miss my '68 Bonneville. I see so many on ebay that make me long for the one I used to have back in the 70's.

Bubba
                  Bubba1954
                  (aka) Shannon Koehn
                  Hutchinson, KS
                  http://www.fototime.com/inv/0EE87CEC5C8C774

Comment

bubba parts and serviceing must be better on the xs ,i like the wings ,but xs just different you know wings seem to attract just people who like wings xs i feel is for everybody and they got a charm of thier own ,good honest bikes ,nothing over done ,nothing under done and theres some nice bits out there if you want them ,they got all the power you need and comfort and they are cheaper than a wing ,cant go wrong really ,having said that i like the aspencade ,a book i get says "the one with all the junk on it "

the bonnie just got the wheels back from complete rebuild ,the centre stand is bent so that needs sorted ,theres a few bolts here and there i need to source from somewhere the big end caps on the conrods dont match the conrods ,even though they are marked the same so that needs sorted then all i need is pipes ,seat ,bars ,headlight and tyres and it will be pristine !!!

it will be a babe thats for sure but my heart will always be xs 1100 ( i think ?????) i love em

Comment

Working...
                    X