Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dyno jet tuning problems!

Dear XSives,

I'm posting this for fellow Xsive in hopes of getting more input and advice than what I thought of. SOME info is missing, and hopefully he'll post a reply with followup info to further assist us in his troubleshooting.
    I just purchased a 1978 xs1100e with 15k original miles and the bike has a 4 into 1 supertrapp exhaust of the era, dyno jet kit, and i have spent aprox32hrs trying to get the bike to run right, any help would be appreciated. bike runs fine at idle all the way up to redline at 3/4 throttle, if you go full throttle at 6500 rpms the bike studders, i have done the main jets, i have played with the needles, best postion 2nd from bottom, i have adjusted the air fuel screws, best postion 1 turn out,i have checked ignition wires and vacum hose and vacum,please help with any advice. thanks morgzilla.
    And here's my email "NON GURU" reply to him:

Hey there Morgzilla,
    A few things left out of your info. What type of intake filter, Stock or Indy's? What sizes are your mains and pilots? Did YOU put in the Dyno jet, or did it come with it? Have you done an actual vacuum synch, or just breadstick tie? Are your plugs black and sooty, or bleach white, or somewhere in between? What are your floats set at?

With it studdering, it sounds like it's too rich! Also, from what I've read and heard, the Dyno jet kits have had bad jets, mostly the pilots which usually affects the idle and off idle range, but not full throttle!? Your pilot settings of only 1 turn out is slightly lean(with proper jets), but with faulty rich running jets could be reason for this setting vs. more turns out. The 4-1 pipes provide better flow, and so lean out the mixture, so usually you have to go richer, same for Indy filters vs. Stock box. SOME indy filters have bigger lip on mounting which partially obstructs ports on carb intake throat, but usually prevents folks from attaining redline period, no matter what throttle position, and you CAN get to redline, so doubtful that they are causing problem, but removing and testing without them on is easy check!

Having your needle set down also is compensating for overly rich condition, they control when the mains kick in, and when you hit full throttle, the slides rise up, and with the weaker springs of the Dyno kit, they usually rise up faster, and provide more fuel quicker, but if it's too rich, then it's dumping and choking/flooding, hence the studder!? Stock jets should be 137.5 for that year and carb, with 4-1, you should need only 1 or 2 sizes up, and with Indy filter, only another size up, so that's 3 sizes max for mains, taking you to 145. Your pilots should be 42.5, and many folks run with stock just fine, or go up to 45's max! If your floats are set too high, that can also cause an overly rich condition despite the jet!

If your pilot jets don't have the little holes on the sides, then they could be suspect! And, if your mains are not MIKUNI brand, no telling for sure what size they are, you can get genuine jets from Mike's XS, or Bike bandit for under $10.00 set of 4!
    Finally, aside from carb issues causing this, timing could also be suspect, have you checked your ignition timing, and your vacuum and cent. advance mechanisms, and vacuum hoses going to the unit? I'm going to post your question to the group as well, and see what suggestions they come up with. If you can post a reply with the other info I asked for, then you'll get much better responses and troubleshooting suggestions! HTH.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Well, TC covered just about everything. Does the bike run up to redline on the road, or just the engine in the driveway? A bike under load will perform or react differently from just sitting in the driveway.

What do the plugs look like? Try a throttle chop?

The only thing I could offer is a step by step process check.

Start with the electric first, it is easiest. Check the vacuum advance plate for free movement, test if it moves freely with vacuum applied - go ahead, suck on it, I did - found a pinhole. Take the centrifugal advance off, take it apart, and clean it - 400 grit paper, then wipe the grit off, then add a tiny bit of lithease. Do the hourglass pull test on the wires, look really closely. Do it again. I missed mine the first time.
    Check continuity and resistance in the coils and plug caps.
    Spark plugs gapped correctly?
    Test the RPM with and external tach. Remove the vacuum advance, run the RPM up to 5600, timing should be 36 degrees on the 78E IIRC.
    Go over each wire for a break, including the spark plug wires. Connectors MUST be checked for corrosion, including the fuses.

Back to the carbs. He didn't mention float heights. Take TC's advice with the carbs, put the needle settings in the middle, floats (check for leaks?) at the correct height.
    Any holes in the slide gaskets?
    Clean them again.
    Clean them again.
    Check the diameter of the jets, or just get the correct sized Mikuni replacements. There was a post here about diameters of some sets of jets varying up to 0.009", way too much.
    Try removing the indy filters assuming you have them when you road test.

Keep us posted.
    Marty in NW PA
    Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
    Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
    This IS my happy face.

Comment

Followup from Morgzilla

The mains were 128 when i got the bike, i also thought that the bike was running too rich like i remember back in the late 70,s early 80,s when i used to work on carbs alot. the owner sent me 124's which i put in. It was studdering around 4500rpm with the 128's, now its around 6500rpm with the 124's. The bike has the stock air box, the owner said that the dyno jet needles let alot more fuel go thru the main jets, that's why the mains are alot smaller than stock. I fixed a cut in the ignition wire that i thought was the problem all along but its still seems like the bike has a rev limiter at 6500rpms at full throttle, if you back off throttle a little it will go past 6500rpms slowly. I'im not sure what pilots are in bike however the bike idles and runs great down low thanks morgzilla.
      Hey DennyZ, don't you have experience with Dyno Jet kits, can you add any thing to this. Could it be as simple as wrong float height? Should he try Mikuni OEM jets vs. the Dyno Jet Brand?
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham

Comment

I have never done anything with the Dyno Jet kits. Obviously Dyno Jet sizes don't relate to stock jets. Since 128s stubbled at 4800 rpm and 124s stubbled at 6800, I would say try 120s.

As for Mikuni jets, 140s with the stock needle in the middle position should work great.
        DZ
        Vyger, 'F'
        "The Special", 'SF'
        '08 FJR1300

Comment

I had a very similiar problem. No matter how I opened up the throttle, I could not get above 6500. It would bog down and seem like it did not like it.

I pulled the plugs after running it and realized one of them running rich. I pulled the carbs and checked the float hight and it was about 4 mm off. I was near 30 mm. I adjusted the float, put back on the carbs and I have not had the problem since.
          Owned by a pair of XS11's. An 80 Standard and a 79 Special.

Comment

this is morgzilla, before reading the new replies{have been busy at work} I THOUGHT THE BIKE WAS RUNNING RICH LIKE TOP CAT SAID SO I LOOSENED THE WING NUTS UNDER THE AIR BOX SO MORE AIR COULD GET TO CARBS SO THIS WOULD CREATE A LEANER CONDION, A MIRICLE THE BIKE FINALLY WENT TO REDLINE WITHOUT STUDDERING. HOW DO I MAKE THE BIKE RUN WITH AIR BOX CLOSED UP LIKE IT IS SUPPOSED TO. THE LOW AND MID RANGE IS AFFECTED. SMALLER MAINS OR CHECK FLOAT POSITION? THANKS MORGZILLA.

Comment

Hey there Morgzilla,

One, check your air filter!!!!! It may be terribly clogged!? Two, check the snorkle hose that runs out the back under the seat from the airbox, make sure it isn't kinked or restricted, or even clogged with rat's nest or some such....don't laugh, it's happened to others !

Some folks have drilled holes in the bottom of the airbox to increase the air flow into the box, but still kept the filtering affect intact! I cheated and went to Indy filters!!

Hey, where in Virginia are you??? I'm way down south east in Portsmouth, as my name/profile/avatar says!
              T.C.
              T. C. Gresham

Comment

TOP CAT IM IN FREDERICKSBURG VA, HOPE WE CAN GET TOGETHER FOR A RIDE WHEN THE WEATHER GETS NICE AGAIN, CALL IF YOU LIKE AND LEAVE MESSAGE IM REAL BUSY AT WORK AND DO NOT GET HOME UNTIL 10.30 TO 11.00 PM EVERY NIGHT. I CHECKED AIR CLEANER ITS A K&N FILTER , I CLEANED IT BUT IT WASNT VERY DIRTY ANYWAY. THE SNORKLE IS OK HOWEVER WHO EVER HAD THE BIKE BEFOR CUT THE SNORKLE DOWN. DO YOU THINK I SHOULD PUT SMALLER MAIN JETS IN, OR SHOULD I TRY TO DRILL A COUPLE OF HOLES IN BOTTOM OF AIR BOX GOING INTO FILTER AREA. PS #"Number editted for privacy".

** I've got the ph. # written down now, this board can be viewed by anyone on the net....recommend sending ph#'s in P.M.'s only!** T.C.

Comment

I vote, drill the air box. If you are looking for max power, the box will need to be drilled or go to individual filters.
                  DZ
                  Vyger, 'F'
                  "The Special", 'SF'
                  '08 FJR1300

Comment

Is the choke - er excuse me, the fuel enrichener - open or closed?

I have always had indy K&N;s so I do have a preference, but if you want to keep the air box it appears you need smaller jets. If you are going to change them out, try the genuine Mikunis.

But I would still check the float height first, according to the manual.
                    Marty in NW PA
                    Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
                    Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
                    This IS my happy face.

Comment

Hey there Morgzilla,

Like DennyZ said, drill the box, he knows his stuff!!! After drilling the box, and testing to see how it performs, then check your plugs, if good color but not sooty, then you won't need to reduce the jets....but like Marty said, you need to verify your float height!!

There are a few others in that area, DEO with an XJ is up there, and Darrell Newcomb has a Standard in the DC area, there are a couple of guys in Richmond, but aren't that active on the boards, and a third guy that chopped his nicely also in Richmond. We should be able to do something once the weather cooperates!!

BTW, Please don't use ALLCAPS, it's considered shouting!! Thanks! Good Luck!
                      T.C.
                      T. C. Gresham

Comment

Morgzilla, I live over the 301 bridge in St. Mary's County Md. I ride over to Fredericksburg pretty often for lunch when the weather is nice. It's about an hour ride for me. I also shop at FMS so when I'm headed over sometime I'll get a hold of you and see about a cruise.
                        "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
                        1981 LH

Comment

Working...
                        X