1980 XS11 Special

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1980 XS11 Special

I just picked up an '80 XS11 Special, it's been sitting for 22 years and has 800 miles on it. I paid $250, and asides from all of the chrome that has rusted it looks to be in good shape. What I am to look forward to restoring this bike, or would I just be better off parting it out.

Thanks,

Dan

If it is complete, put it back on the road. Wil take some work, but is worth it in the end!
    Jerry Fields
    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
    '06 Concours
    My Galleries Page.
    My Blog Page.
    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

You DOG! 800 miles? Man, what a find! It'll shine up. If she hasn't been running in a long time, you will want to oil the cyllinder walls befire anything and after a couple of days, fresh oil in the crank case, hand turn the crank to move oil into all of the innards... 'Course, you knew that.
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

If the chrome and aluminum is in real bad shape, you may want to consider powder coating. It is much cheaper than tracking down replacement parts or having stuff re-chromed.

My "F" had been sitting outside for 3 years when I picked it up for $500. I was able to get it running and drive it home, but it looked bad. The aluminum and chrome were severely pitted. I decided to black everything out, including the chrome. It is very easy to maintain and has lasted 50K+ miles.

Check out the thread “Powder Coating”.
        DZ
        Vyger, 'F'
        "The Special", 'SF'
        '08 FJR1300

Comment

Thanks for the words of encouragement here.
          I picked the bike up yesterday and found the forum this morning. I have been browsing through the forum and have found many useful posts already. I'm sure I'll find myself back here frequently looking for advice from others and the advice they offered in the past.
          Hope to be on the road soon, with a lot of hard work I'm sure.

Comment

I will have to agree with Skids, LUCKY DOG.

There are pleanty of chrome parts readily available for the 80 Special. DON'T PART IT OUT.

You will find just about any information that you will need for the restoration right here, from folks in this group.

There are several articles that have described what to look for in a used bike, in order to determine what you are getting into.
            For something that has been sitting that long, you would have to plan to replace all of the rubber, and plan to spend some time cleaning ALL of the electrical contacts.

Keep us posted.
            Mike

1980 SG "Angus"

Comment

Don't part it out!
              I'll buy it from you, I'm looking for one of them in the Tampa area!
              Carpe Diem!
              1980 XS850G
              1973 CT70

Comment

Working...
              X