Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PowderCoating

Hiya Guys,
    I was thinking of having the front and rear fenders powdercoated to match the rest of the bike. It's a lot cheaper then re-chroming, and I think it looks just as good, sometimes better. Has anyone done this? I was just wondering how it would hold up. Thanx guys.....

Bobby
    So what my bike is purple...your point is? At least I can listen to the radio, and hear it too, while I ride...whats your excuse?????

Powder Coating

Check with Denny Z. He has powder coat much of his bike and after seeing the bike three years in a row do not recall any deterioration in the job he did. It REALLY! looks good.
    Ken/Sooke
    78E Ratbyk
    82 FT500 "lilRat"
    92 ZX11 Temptress

Comment

Thanks Ken,

If the chrome surface is prepped correctly, it sick like Sh&$ to a blanket. I have over 50K miles on my powder coat job and it still looks great. I did it myself using the Eastwood Jet Coat system and a free kitchen oven. Sand blasting is the best prep for powder coating. Second best is 220 grit and water. And just as important, is a good washing with warm soapy water and always wear rubber cloves.

The bike speaks for it’s self. Everything shinny black is powder coated. The only place powder coat did not hold up was the leading edges of the forks.

(another excuse to post pictures of my "F")

DZ
      Vyger, 'F'
      "The Special", 'SF'
      '08 FJR1300

Comment

Correction: The system I purchased from Eastwood is the "Hot Coat" system, not "Jet Coat".

Eastwood's Hot Coat system info
        DZ
        Vyger, 'F'
        "The Special", 'SF'
        '08 FJR1300

Comment

Hey, Denny, do you do a pre-bake of the bare parts to burn off any residual grease, moisture, etc before cooling, spraying, then baking? I've got a guy lined up here in Revelstoke who has offered to do a bunch of work for me this winter. He seems to know what he's doing, and he says he always pre-bakes his parts.
          Ken Talbot

Comment

Ken,

Yes, I always do a pre-bake.
            DZ
            Vyger, 'F'
            "The Special", 'SF'
            '08 FJR1300

Comment

Pretty Bike

It seems like Dennyz's bike looks better each time he puts up a pic of it.

Comment

That is one fine ride!
                Don
                99 Valkyrie Interstate named Drakker

81 XS1100 H Peppylebleu sold and gone to a good home

81 XS1100 Midnight Special Peppyledeux sold and gone to another great home

Comment

Originally posted by Dennyz
                  (another excuse to post pictures of my "F")
                  It's always a pleasure to see such a fine example of an XS11.
                  Robert
                  79 SF

Comment

Did ya paint the motor too? If so what powder coat was used?

Comment

heat temps on powder

ok as far as powder coating goes one of the shops where i work does it and they bake it at 400 degrees once its baked on how hot can it with stand was thinking of powder coating my frame but worried about the exhaust being do close to the frame???
                      1979 (6/78) xs1100f with windjammer fairing and trunk no bags yet

Comment

Most powder coat paints can with stand 500 degrees after baking. They now have high temp powders.

Eastwood High Temp

My engine is painted with PJ1 Engine Case Satin Black. The engine side covers are powder coated with regular gloss black.

Powder coating the frame works great. The exhaust will not bother it.
                        DZ
                        Vyger, 'F'
                        "The Special", 'SF'
                        '08 FJR1300

Comment

Denny,

since you are so good at this and have an oven to do it in, maybe you can offer this up as a service. I just got some saddle bags and the chrome is pretty well gone on the holders. I was thinking about powder coating those parts rather than re-chroming.

What do you think about it?
                          Owned by a pair of XS11's. An 80 Standard and a 79 Special.

Comment

thumperjsa,

I thought about powder coating for $$. The prep work is what makes it not very profitable. By the time I figured up all the labor and materials, I was no better priced than a shop. They buy their powder is bulk and get a much better rate. Their equipment is also much better. The "Hot Coat" gun, my Harbor Frieght Sand Blaster, and my kitchen oven are great for DIY projects, but won't stand up to production work.
                            DZ
                            Vyger, 'F'
                            "The Special", 'SF'
                            '08 FJR1300

Comment

Working...
                            X