need a rear rotor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need a rear rotor

I just picked up a '79F and had a chance to look it over. I need to find a rear brake rotor, as the pads didn't get changed and there was only about 1mm left! I don't have much money, but can do most work on the bike. I just need a good used or good price on a new rotor.
    I live in the Santa Cruz, CA area, but work in San Jose. send me an e-mail, raym@jps.net , or give me a call (831)-234-8721 cell.

Thanks!

DiverRay
    Riding a real bike once again!!(soon)
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Congrats on the bike!

Unless you're willing to pay around $250.00 for a rotor I would look on e-bay. Just do a search on xs1100 and wait it out. You can get one used for around $45.00. I've rebuilt most of my bike from E-Bay auctions with no real hassles. BikeBandit.com has one in stock for $258.00
    Copy the link below into your browser address box...

http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandit...e~XS1100SF.asp
    "There are old bikers, and there are bold bikers, but there are no old bold bikers."

Comment

Link error

For some reason the link did not copy. Goto www.bikebandit.com and look under OEM parts
      "There are old bikers, and there are bold bikers, but there are no old bold bikers."

Comment

The front and rear rotors are all the same. I just checked ebay and saw a couple that went for $1 each about a week ago.
        Ebay Rotors

Keep your eyes open. You'll find one.
        Kevin
        '79 XS1100 w/ Sidecar "SOLD"
        [URL=http://webpages.charter.net/kbhahn/sidecar1.html]My Webpage[/URL]

Comment

The front and rear rotors are the same part? If that the case then, the rotor from a later model XS 650 Special should fit. I have read here that they are the same as the 11's rotor. I do know that the rotor from an XS 750 will not fit. It is a smller diameter.

Comment

I found three rotors on ebay, for XS650. From the picture, I can only say for sure that #4510390064 will fit. $9.95 starting bid, 6+ days left on auction. The others are #450982642, $9.99, and 4510384952, $4.95. The last two are from older bikes, and I can not say for sure that they will fit. Part no's could be cross referenced. Look for the link to yamaha parts on this site, and you can check part no's. Look under tech tips, you can find the link to yam parts.
            put something smooooth betwen your legs, XS eleven
            79 F (Blueballs)
            79 SF (Redbutt)
            81 LH (organ donor)
            79 XS 650S (gone to MC heaven)
            76 CB 750 (gone to MC heaven)
            rover has spoken

Comment

Another thing to look for is the fact that the 80-81 rotors are slotted and the are marked left and right.. The 78-79 rotors will switch from side to side.

Comment

He stated he has a 79F, that would be the one with the plain rotors

GO PACK
                79 F (Blueballs)
                79 SF (Redbutt)
                81 LH (organ donor)
                rover has spoken

Comment

YamaLego

Yamahas are like Lego, a whole slew of parts from one model will also bolt onto another. About which XS650 rotors will fit, the one-piece XS650 front rotors will fit an XS11 front & back like Kevin sez. The earlier two-piece XS650 rotors which have an aluminum centre bolted to a steel braking surface will bolt onto the wheel but won't fit into the caliper because the early disk has a different dish depth.
                  The unslotted disks can only be slotted if you have access to a vertical milling machine but you can drill 'em in a fancy pattern. You'll need a drill-press, slow speed, high pressure, cutting fluid & a cobalt steel drill bit; the alloy steel those disks are made from is seriously tough material.
                  Fred Hill, S'toon.
                  Fred Hill, S'toon
                  XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                  "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

If you are looking at XS650 rotors, the 1977 and later models are the ones with the correct rotors. That starts with the XS650D.
                    Marty (in Mississippi)
                    XS1100SG
                    XS650SK
                    XS650SH
                    XS650G
                    XS6502F
                    XS650E

Comment

Actually, Fred, I found the rotors to be pretty easy to drill with only garden-variety drill bits at low speed in my benchtop drill press. If you can re-grind the bits to a split point, it doesn't even take very much pressure.

There's a bit of a write-up here for anybody who might want to try for the customized look.
                      Ken Talbot

Comment

Drillbits

Hi Ken,
                        your "pretty easy" must be my "kinda difficult".
                        I drilled my first pair of rotors with first a 3/16" then a 3/8" high speed steel drillbit. Like you, I used a drill press set at a low speed using high pressure & lotsa cutting fluid. I vise-gripped the two disks together back to back which produced the right & left patterns automatically. With the HSS bits I had to resharpen the 3/16" bit twice and the 3/8" bit five times to complete a pattern very like the one you show.
                        "This" thought I "Is BS." so for the next two sets I bought new cobalt alloy steel drill bits. Using the exact same technique and hole pattern the cobalt drills did both sets without any sign of getting dull and are set aside in my toolbox for the next go-round.
                        So yes, HSS bits work but cobalt alloy bits work better.
                        Fred Hill, S'toon.
                        Fred Hill, S'toon
                        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I can not see why you guys are having difficulties drilling these rotors with HSS drill bits. I am a retired machinist/welder, worked with stainless steel most of my life. These rotors are SS. I drilled my two front rotors with a 1/4" HSS bit, using about 120 RPM and .040" of feed per revolution. I did both fronts, then thought I'd better sharpen the bit before I did the rear. It did not need sharpening, but I touched it up anyhow. I also kept a small puddle of HS cutting oil around the bit all the times. I think that you are using too much speed on your bits. SS does not allow the heat to dissipate like mild steel does, so the heat stays right where you are drilling. Slow speed (120 - 160 RPM and heavy feed (The chips should be spirals about .020" thick) will cause minimal friction. My press has an adjustable mechanical feed. I feel that I could easily drill 5 or six rotors with one bit.
                          79 F (Blueballs)
                          79 SF (Redbutt)
                          81 LH (organ donor)
                          rover has spoken

Comment

I drilled both my front rotors with no problems at all. Never re-sharpened the bits. Used lots of cutting oil.
                            Pat Kelly
                            <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                            1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                            2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                            1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                            1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                            1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Working...
                            X