the infamous XS 2nd gear problem...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the infamous XS 2nd gear problem...

...I've heard about it - but not in detail...
    So, is THIS the "Achilles Heal" of the XS model??

...I'm asking because I've found another XS11, but 2nd gear is blown...
    This may be my winter project, but if I can't find parts then it's a mute point.

If I get this bike, and the 2nd gear is 'fixable' then I'll learn how to repair it, document it (video...) and try and contribute to the group...

...I'm on the hunt for as many XS11s as I can collect, restore/repair, and ride with a BIG smile, before I die...

1980 XS1100SG

Hey there UncleSpot,

Yes, the 2nd gear, and even 1st are the week spots in the XS tranny! If you'll follow this link, you'll find all of the tech tips regarding the process to repair this malady!
    Tech tips/Tranny Repairs

I have a friend that will be needing the 2nd gear and probably the 1st gear fix as well, and he's a machinist, so we'll be able to cut his gears professionally.....but may need to use the Dremmel as well?? SO....I'll be able to video document that also!

Good luck on the collecting!!!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Re: the infamous XS 2nd gear problem...

I have three xs11s that are runners and a parts bike as well. None of them had the 1st or 2nd gear problem. (knocking on wood for good luck really hard!!!) In my opinion and personal experiences, the CAM CHAIN TENSIONER is the real problem. I recommend that you check the tensioner for available travel whenever it is practicable, especially if the engine has over 30,000 miles.

Originally posted by UncleSpot
      ...I've heard about it - but not in detail...
      So, is THIS the "Achilles Heal" of the XS model??
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

gearbox blues

mine has a third gear problem, solution is to put about one and a half to two degrees angle on dogs and slots

Comment

First gear has been busted on my XS since I got it because of the P.O. trying to jam it into gear when the clutch was sticking. Fortunately 2nd has no problems so I always take off in 2nd. I don't think there will be any transmission problems if it isn't abused.
          72 TS185
          77 XS750
          78 SR500
          80 XS850
          80 XS1100 Midnight Special
          81 Seca XJ750RH

Comment

Interesting info:

A couple of years ago, I did a survey on the XS list about this gear problem. I don't remember the exact numbers. Something like 35 Special owners indicated they had some kind of gear problem, while no Standard owners indicated the problem.

The combine fleet of my family is 5 standards and 6 Specials. 4 of our Specials have required the gear fix, while none of the Standards have. With in our fleet, Standards have 3X (average) the miles of our Specials.

The major physical difference between the two, with respect to the gears, is the 16” verse 17” rear wheel.

Riding behavior may be significant, but hard to verify. I know that from 32K miles on, my Standard has been driven and shifted hard. My first Special need the gear fix at 31K miles.
            DZ
            Vyger, 'F'
            "The Special", 'SF'
            '08 FJR1300

Comment

it would be interesting to do that survey again
              http://home.securespeed.us/~xswilly/
              78E main ride, since birth the "good"
              78E Parts, the "bad" fixing up now
              78E Parts the "ugly" maybe next year
              79F Parts
              80G Parts
              75 DT 400B enduro

Comment

I tried to create a "Poll", but it did not work out. Can somebody create a poll on the gear problem, Special or Standard.
                DZ
                Vyger, 'F'
                "The Special", 'SF'
                '08 FJR1300

Comment

Denny, I can't imagine different parts between the assembly lines, BUT, I could imagine the shim being placed on the wrong side for specials...maybe a training issue?
                  Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

I know it was standard practice for bike shops to move the shim at the first sign of slipping. I have not heard of it being installed wrong from the factor.
                    DZ
                    Vyger, 'F'
                    "The Special", 'SF'
                    '08 FJR1300

Comment

Hey there DennyZ,

Poll has been created, hope it's the criteria you/we were wanting to ask!?
                      T.C.
                      T. C. Gresham
                      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                      History shows again and again,
                      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
                      X