82 xj1100 starting problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 82 xj1100 starting problem

I have a 1982 xj1100 maxim. It is in excellent condition. Just recently it has developed a problem starting. When first starting it kicks over once. Then fully choked or not it wont start. Eventually after a lot of attempted start it will fiannaly start "sometimes.' When it runs, it runs great. Any suggestions?

a couple things

you might check your fuel to make sure there no water in the tank. Second you could of got some dirt in the carbs time for a good cleaning, when did you change your plugs last or air filter for that matter. All of the above can contribute to hard starting. But my guess is dirty carbs......MITCH
    Doug Mitchell
    82 XJ1100 sold
    2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
    2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
    1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
    47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

I replaced with all new gas, also put new spark plugs in. I cleaned everything. Took the carbs off and drained the float bowls. They were all clean. I also replaced all the fuel lines. still no luck. I was thinking the choke but not sure how that would contribute.

Comment

One more thing

Try boosting the bike to start it with a fully charged battery. A weak battery will make the XJ start hard as its not getting enough power to fire the bike while cranking. just a thought........MITCH
        Doug Mitchell
        82 XJ1100 sold
        2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
        2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
        1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
        47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

I also charged the battery. Sometimes I will start with the battery charger hooked up to get a full turn over. Still no luck. It is very weird.

Comment

Hard Start

Check out the choke/fuel enrichment circuit. Sounds to me that it is very lean when cold. Not enough fuel for the plugs to fire.
            Ken/Sooke
            78E Ratbyk
            82 FT500 "lilRat"
            92 ZX11 Temptress

Comment

I also ride an '82 XJ1100. Did you check your spark? I had some of the same symptoms, finally it just wouldn't start, even though it could crank. I found the emergency cut-off switch under the tank near the front forks (mounted between the frame) was causing the TCI to block the ignition.

I disconnected the switch (i.e. unplugged the connection) and JOY.

How's your oil level, my oil level switch gives me a false alarm for about the first three miles during warmup?

Stan Hutchison
              '80 XS1100LG Midnight Special
              Looks like an '82 Maxim, Fuel Injected
              '82 XJ1100J, Fuel Injected
              Stan Hutchison

Comment

If you crank and crank and it doesn't start, pull the plugs. If they are dry, then you're not getting fuel. Wet... then it's a spark prob.
                Of course, that was the quick and easy. What's your compression? When was the last time you adjusted your valves? Could have no tolerance and valves staying open. Pull the plugs, stick them back in their boots, lay them on the valve cover (away from the plugholes) crank and see if they have spark.
                "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

The XJ uses a cable-activated choke. This cable is subject to stretching, just like other control cables. I replaced mine a few weeks ago.

Cable ends up at #4 carb, which is the outer carb on the right as you are sitting on the bike. Check to make sure the choke linkage moves when you work the choke cable. I operated my choke by manually pressing in (toward the engine) the choke mechanism, as I could not depend on the old cable moving the choke linkage far enough to be of any help.

This is akward but doable, right hand pushing the choke linkage and left hand operating the starter button. If there is any play in the choke cable, replace it.

I found the metal end of the new cable goes right under the clip that holds it in place on carb #4. Adjust the new cable by having just a small amount of slack when the choke is off; this will pull the choke all the way on when you need it.

My XJ starts much easier with the new cable, as the choke is fully On when I need it for those cold morning starts.
                  Jerry Fields
                  '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                  '06 Concours
                  My Galleries Page.
                  My Blog Page.
                  "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Hard Start

Cleaned the carbs on my XJ ,put back on bike ,got a phone call.Bike would not start. Being old and forgetful my choke cable got over looked. Tightened cable and rode off into the sunset. Happens all the time .( I hope)... bkr

Comment

check all bougies for the rigth gap(a steel saw blade) and use a second batterie for extra power don't use a weak charger that is only ment to use for charging,to get more fuel in the cillindre at starting you simply close the intake hose with a glove or your hand.
                      also check if there are good sparks at all bougies heaving them one by one on the outside against some metal when you pres the start button with a cold engine.

Good luck i hope it's something simple after detecting the cause off the trouble
                      xs1100 black 78 2h9 on the road
                      xs1100 red 79 special with sidecar running on LPG and gas!
                      xs1100 silber 79 2h9 o t r
                      xs1100 white 80 2h9 Martini o t r
                      xs1100 red 78 2h9 Martini o t r
                      xs1100 black 80 special o t r
                      xs1100 black 80 2h9 in parts sleeping
                      xs1100 black 81sport for sale!sleeping
                      xs1100 silber 81 2h9 i.p. sleeping
                      xs1100black81midnspeciali.p.sleeping
                      cbx1000 grey prolink 81 sleeping
                      cbx1000prolink 83 in parts sleeping
                      gsx750ex red 81 in parts sleeping

Comment

I don't think it is getting fuel either. What do you mean by the the choke/fuel enrichment circuit? Should I pull out and see if it is clean or something else. It does get spark as I have tested the plugs and installed new ones. Also checked compression 130 acroos the board, 120 being the lowest, oil level is fine also.
                        I don't believe the valves have been adjusted for awhile. Could that contibute to the problem or should I still check into the ansence of fuel? PS Which is the intake hose?

Comment

I was wondering how much the fuel diaphragm plays into this. Any thoughts?

Comment

I cranked and cranked, and then checked the spark plugs. They were not wet. Where do I start on the fuel delivery?

Comment

I forgot to say thank you to everyone. I really appreciate everyone stepping up and helping. I really love this bike and would like to get it back.

Comment

Working...
                              X