Exaust coating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exaust coating

Winter is here and time to fix things. I've read all the related postings but find no answere to this one:
    I want to send my pipes off to get them ceramic coated. I like black, but it cost a bit more than silver/aluminium/chrome. So which cools the engine better? That's the determining factor for me...
    E.Liberty
    Old bikers never die, they're just out of sight!

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"
    I've been riding since 1959.

Engine Cooling

Suggest that you consult who ever you are going to have do the job. They should be the experts and have all the answers. If they don't, I would not trust them to do the job.
    From a layman's point of view, (me) I would think that black, particularly flat black would dissipate heat the best unless it was in the sun. It would then absorb the most heat.
    Ken/Sooke
    78E Ratbyk
    82 FT500 "lilRat"
    92 ZX11 Temptress

Comment

Are they doing both inside and out?
      DZ
      Vyger, 'F'
      "The Special", 'SF'
      '08 FJR1300

Comment

Hey there E. Liberty,

Well, after doing some "web" research, I found a few websites that offered some good information about ceramic coatings! Surprisingly, the coatings actually keep the heat IN, they act as an insulating layer, preventing the heat from radiating out thru the skin of the exhaust, and thereby propelling them faster thru the exhaust system. There is a TDC=Thermal dissapation type coating, but it usually is a flat textured, black color.

A graph I saw on one web site, showed radiated temps down by as much as 300 degrees vs. the internal exhaust temps. This reduction in radiated temps is more important in cars and vehicles with enclosed engine compartments, but with our open air vehicles, it can help keep you NOT SO HOT in the summer by keeping the temps inside the pipes, and sending it out thru the ends of the exhaust.

The coatings protect the coated part from thermal fatigue, and allows them to endure temps from 1300 or higher depending on the type of coating. They do mention internal coating as well as external!! Here are a few web site links:

Info site on coatings, scroll to Exhaust!

Site that mentions Internal coatings

Another Coating site

So...it looks like you can have either black, grey, or a chrome look, and all would perform well in both protecting the pipes and reducing radiated heat to the rest of the bike. HTH!
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

JET HOT did the headers for my car abd my old bosses race car(which was runner up at national championship for super ET pro class at pomona,ca this year )
          Shawn
          78 XS1100E "Black Rat"
          78 XS1100E Parts
          www.hotrod1972.com

Comment

response to question

Thank you so much for your replys!
            Yes I wanted them coated inside and out by HPC. This is just one of several cosmetic projects I have in mind. I'll be posting other questions, and I really apreciate your input.
            Keep the rubber side down! ! !
            E.Liberty
            Old bikers never die, they're just out of sight!

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"
            I've been riding since 1959.

Comment

Working...
            X