hoses to carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hoses to carbs

I know, I know... this has been beaten to death on this forum... but I can't seem to get the esact answer from the search function.

Here it goes....

I have 79 sx11 special w/ the octopus. I dissasembled my carbs and didn't bother to see where all the hoses are supposed to go. From the diagrams of the octopus...2 lines from the octopus goes to the carbs... Where do those 2 lines go? Are they supposed to be split?

I have 3 T hoses each going between carbs 1&2, 2&3, 3&4. Are these supposed to be left open or are they supposed to connect somewhere? Maybe they are not supposed to be there...

Could someone PLEASE tell me the proper procedure to the hoses. I've read so many threads but they don't all seem to touch on whether I even have to hoses connected to the right places on the carbs and where the gas lines from the octupus T's are suppose to go.

As you can tell, I'm mucho confused.

I appreciate the help and sorry about repeating this topic. I just can't seem to make sense of all the differnet threads.

Jon

octopuss

Go to the left of this page click on forum then pull down to maintence section , click on carbaratour section click on octopuss there is a picure there showing how to route the hoses. sorry bout the spelling . HTH ....MITCH
    Doug Mitchell
    82 XJ1100 sold
    2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
    2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
    1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
    47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

Re: octopuss

I've read the thread but does not tell me exactly where those 2 hoses from the octopus go to connec to the carbs.

I believe this is what you are referring to, right?

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...=&threadid=713

Pretend I'm mentally challenged. =P

I appreciate it.

Jon

Originally posted by mitch
      Go to the left of this page click on forum then pull down to maintence section , click on carbaratour section click on octopuss there is a picure there showing how to route the hoses. sorry bout the spelling . HTH ....MITCH

Comment

In the diagram the hose that goes down on the left side goes to the left two carbs (1&2) and the right hose goes to the right two carbs (3&4).
        #1 ’79 XS11 Special
        #2 ’79 XS11 Special
        '97 V-Max
        '01 Dyna T-Sport

Comment

Thanks! those 2 tubes.... they are supposed to be Ts at the end right? I will have to redo the hoses becaue I think the prior owner screwed it up.

Originally posted by Bob Falter
          In the diagram the hose that goes down on the left side goes to the left two carbs (1&2) and the right hose goes to the right two carbs (3&4).

Comment

Hey Jon,

Those "T's" on the outer two hoses, are so that in the PRIME position of the petcocks, the fuel bypasses the Octopus and pours directly down into the carbs. In the normal Run position, the fuel comes out the Other petcock nipples, goes into the Octopus thru the inner two hoses, and when the engine is running, thru vacuum pulling the diaphragm the Octopus then allows fuel to flow into the outer two hoses and finally down into the carbs! Good Luck!
            T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

It's ALIVE! sweet!

Thanks for all the input, I think all the confusion came from the fact that the person I bought the bike from routed the octupus lines into each other... so they were all screwed up.

I'm sure I'll have more questions but I am glad you guys are here to help!

I'm buying tonight. Virtual beers on the house!

Jon

Comment

Well, since you're buying, I'll have several orders from this web site Virtual BarTender !!

It was posted to the Yahoo groups, thought you might get a kick out of it!? Try ordering things "out of the ordinary", things that you wouldn't neccessarily ask a bar maid to provide/do!

I know this is off topic for this Forum, but it fit the reply!
                T. C. Gresham
                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                History shows again and again,
                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58
                  Try ordering things "out of the ordinary",
                  Yikes!
                  Ken Talbot

Comment

Bar Maid

Be creative when ordering from the bar maid. Try, banana, lips, take shirt off, karate, back side, take pants off and so on. If she does not have a programed response she will shrug her shoulders and then drum the top of the bar with her fingers. If you hit a good one, share it.
                    Ken/Sooke

Comment

How bout my hangover today?
                      It's really a hangover.
                      If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
                      (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

hmmmmmm!

The bar maid reminds me of my wife, she keeps wagging her finger at me and saying No!!!!!!!!!!! You could type in suck and see what she does ...........MITCH
                        Doug Mitchell
                        82 XJ1100 sold

Comment

Back to the octopus

I'd say toss the stupid thing entirely. Cap off the vacuum ports on the carbs and the prime ports on the taps. Run a hose from the left side tap to the 1-2 fuel inlet and another hose from the right side tap to the 3-4 fuel inlet. Remember to turn on both taps when you start and to turn the beggars off again when you stop.
                          Fred Hill, S'toon.
                          Fred Hill, S'toon
                          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Re: Back to the octopus

Thanks Fred... I think the octi is fine and working. Haven't had any problems since routing all the tubes properly.

I do have a question tho. When the bike is idling and I look into the carb intakes. The #1 needle is bouncing up and down while the others are sitting there idle. WHen I give it a bit of throttle, they all bounce up and down. Are they all suppose to bounce a bit at idel? If so, how do I correct this?

Jon

Originally posted by fredintoon
                            I'd say toss the stupid thing entirely. Cap off the vacuum ports on the carbs and the prime ports on the taps. Run a hose from the left side tap to the 1-2 fuel inlet and another hose from the right side tap to the 3-4 fuel inlet. Remember to turn on both taps when you start and to turn the beggars off again when you stop.
                            Fred Hill, S'toon.

Comment

synk

carbs need to be scynked go to the maintenance section again it will show you how to pre scynk........MITCH
                              Doug Mitchell
                              82 XJ1100 sold

Comment

Working...
                              X