Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Cooler Interchangability

Will a '82 Seca Turbo Oil cooler package work on 82 XJ11

heres what it looks like (borrowed from ebay auction) i am thinking of purchasing one.

------------------------------------
    Current Projects:
    -1982-1992 Yamaha Ezgo XJ1100 Maxim Project

No! The cooler adapter plate is smaller and the radiator is too small as well. One from an XS750 or 850 will fit but get a larger radiator.
    72 TS185
    77 XS750
    78 SR500
    80 XS850
    80 XS1100 Midnight Special
    81 Seca XJ750RH

Comment

The cooler from the 850 will work fine. I used one for 10 years with out any trouble. The hoses need to be cut and spliced, because they are not long enough, and they are mouded, and bent to fit a 3 cylinder engine. The cooler ill not bolt up directly, you'll need to made an adapter bracket for mounting to the frame. I just used tie wraps to secure mine to the frame. For hoses I used 1/2 inch cloth braided hydraulic hose. It is the same type of material as the original hoses, but it has a smaller inside diameter. I had to cut the steel pipe, it is approximatly 1/2 inch outside diameter, where it attaches to the spacer plate to one inch or so, and braze a barb on the pipe to keep the hose from blowing off under pressure. It did that twice to me in some very unfortunate places. Down town San Diego was one place. Right at Fourth and Broadway, in front of the Jack in the Box that was there 12 years ago.

Comment

i have been debating whether or not i want to install one once i get my golf cart project done. Because the engine will be mostly enclosed i'm not sure whether i should add an oil cooler or not. most people have told me that i shouldnt worry about it and just throw a small automotive cooling fan in and call it good and others have said that i should add a fan and an oil cooler
        (also possibly with a thermostatically controlled fan). Anyways or those of you that havent heard of my project. see it here -Yamaha XJ1100 - Golf Cart Project

Any help is appreciated, Thanks!
        Current Projects:

Comment

It doesn't really need an oil cooler unless you drive at high speeds for a long time in high temperatures on the freeway, which is how I usually drive, then the XS850 and the stock model are both too small. At least here in Arizona they are. I had to install a car cooler to actually get any cooling otherwise as the oil gets hotter the oil pressure keeps going down until it gets to zero!
          If you are actually driving on a golf course you wouldn't need an oil cooler but you'd need a fan to cool the engine if it's inclosed.
          Of course if you are racing the golf cart for more than a quarter mile you will need a big cooler. If in doubt install oil temp and head temp gauges and watch them to make sure it doesn't overheat.
          72 TS185
          77 XS750
          78 SR500
          80 XS850
          81 Seca XJ750RH

Comment

do you know what the oil temp and head temp are on average. has anyone on this board installed a head temp gauge? Thanks for the help. oh and im not sure how i want to position the fan should i have it so it blows from behind the engine, the top or from the sides, what do you guys think would be more effective? Thanks!
            Current Projects:

Comment

I don't believe that the oil cooler can take the place of air moving through the cooling fins.
              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

i dont believe it can either, but im not going to cut a gaping hole or slots in the body of the golf cart. i was thinking about buying a cheap set of small (very small) hood scoops (the ones that are usually fake) and make them work.so when i am driving it would force air into the enigne compartment and then place a fan on one or both of the intakes that would pull in cold air while sitting stopped. what do you all think? Thanks
                Current Projects:

Comment

Originally posted by xj11yamaha
                  has anyone on this board installed a head temp gauge?
                  Someone (sorry, can't remember who) has installed both cylinder head temp and oil temp gauges on their XS. I have the info saved here somewhere, but just can't lay my hands on it right now. I believe they used some type of pickup that installed on on the spark plug in place of the washer, and also around the oil drain plug. IIRC, this method is quite common in the aviation field so you might be able to get some more info from a plane mech.
                  Brian
                  1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
                  1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
                  remembering the same thing!

Comment

cyl head temp and such!

i have looked at a few on ebay, i probably will end up buying one, i was looking and there are ones for hardly ablesons and such, a lot for cessna airplanes and such. anyways if anyone finds out the normal operating temperature of the heads on these bikes it would be much appreciated, i have the XJ motor, dont know if that matters. i guess the highest operating temperatures i will ever really run it will be around 80°F that would be the highest outside temp really, it doesnt get much over 78° to 80° in the summer here in northern michigan, we have a few days that get up to 90°F once we had 100°F or almost that. Some of you probly think thats cold, those of you in the west, like arizona, new mex and such! Thanks for all of the tips!
                    Current Projects:

Comment

The head normally runs at 300F according to my VDO head temp. gauge, sometimes going up to 350F on long hills. The oil temperature is normally around 120F just putting around town but will go to 170-180F with a cooler after about 20 minutes of hard driving but with no cooler will go way above 250F.
                      Even with a cooler you have to provide air flow over the cylinders since they get no cooling from the oil.
                      72 TS185
                      77 XS750
                      78 SR500
                      80 XS850
                      81 Seca XJ750RH

Comment

air cooling

I use cooling fans in enclosed audio equipment (1000s of watts) and have found that extracting the warmed air by placing an exhaust fan above the heat source is the best way to prevent the internal temperature from increasing, cooler air will find it's own way in. Some airflow over the fins may help, but natural convection will make the heated air around the fins move upward anyway, the key is to get the heated air out of the enclosed space.

sounds like it's gonna be a real ball tearer!

Comment

Q

i thought about that as well but am stuck as to where i can place the fan(s) clearance is going to be tight as i have measured. The engine will actually be sitting real low in the compartment so it clears, but thats why we are lifting the suspension to avoid ground claerance issues. i know that when we're done this isnt going to be a jump on and go golf cart, its going to be a select individuals only ridden golf cart. 95-HP is fun but in the wrong hands it could be dangerous, especially going fast on a vehicle that was only designed to go 15 mph max, i dont mean to say that i and only i will drive it but i think anybody who would like to take it for a spins going to have to get used to it first. I myself will probably be a little scared to really push it... 50-60MPH on the golf cart... YIKES! But i cant wait to see what it will do,maybe some donuts?! Wow that got off topic. anyways all the ideas are much appreciated and keep tossing some in,im VERY open to ideas on this project. thanksfor all your help!
                          Current Projects:

Comment

You still need airflow for cooling even if the engine is just idling. There should be room to put some electric fans somewhere.
                            72 TS185
                            77 XS750
                            78 SR500
                            80 XS850
                            81 Seca XJ750RH

Comment

cooler fit

if those lines are hooked up like in the picture, i don't think they will go on the xj. mine the cooler lines come out the front with a 1-2 inch space inbetween them. dont think those lines will fit up into the cavity by the motor.
                              1982 XJ 1100
                              going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
                              now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Working...
                              X