fairing mounting bracket bolt???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fairing mounting bracket bolt???

'just got a Pacifico fairing for my '80 SG and 'don't have the 2 bolts to hold the fairing mount to the frame. There are two holes on each of the front frame legs, in the front, just a little higher than the horn mounting bolts, and about in the middle of the side reflectors. I *assume* these are for securing bolts for the fairing mount - were these two holes for the stock Yamaha fairing mount??

I did several NET searches for OEM pictorials, description, etc - 'found NOthing. Could someone look on their XS11, that has a fairing, and *maybe* pull one of these bolts and tell me what the size is, and thread (fine, course, etc)
    I would surely appreciate it - I want to get this fairing on before it gets too much colder and the rain starts again...

1980 XS1100SG

If this is the bracket that attaches to the two bike downtubes then it attaches with four hose clamps (or U bolts if you prefer), two on each side.
    Stop by and take a look at our XS750. It mounts that way.
    Pat Kelly
    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
    1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
    1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
    1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Pat,
      yes, I've got the 4 hose clamps, but on the mounting bracket I got with the fairing there are 2 holes and they match up with two threaded holes on the frame 'down tubes' - this makes sense to me, but since I don't have a bolt to fit this. I need an "example" so I don't cross thread the screw holes in the frame...

Look on your XS11 and look for these bolt holes... you're not using these as extra mounting 'security'?
      Were these bolt holes just on the '80 and '81 models???

1980 XS1100SG

Comment

The bolt in question, I believe, is a 10 mm x1.25 pitch. I am using these holes to mount my oil cooler.

Comment

John
          I think your right on the size of the bolt. I just helped Marty A. get his fixed up.and if Iremember right thats the size I told him to use.
          Madbiker
          80 Midnight Sp.
          Evil Mistress

Comment

Oh those bolts . Mine are holding both the fairing bracket and oil cooler. I do have the original (shorter) bolts laying around.
            Pat Kelly
            <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
            1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
            2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
            1999 Suburban (The Ship)
            1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
            1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

bolt size

Hi Uncle Spot,
              wonderful how many different uses there are for those two tapped holes. They are M10x1.25 for sure. The ones on my XS11SG hold on the upper front sidecar mount. Use Gr 8.8 fasteners for mounting anything heavy.
              Fred Hill, S'toon.
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

me again

Hi Uncle Spot,
                I forgot to add, if you are bolting down something made of plastic use a rubber grommet of just 2 flat rubber washers to guard against vibration induced cracking.
                Fred.
                Fred Hill, S'toon
                XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I also used it for my upper front sidecar mount.

Kevin
                  '79 XS1100 w/ Sidecar "SOLD"
                  [URL=http://webpages.charter.net/kbhahn/sidecar1.html]My Webpage[/URL]

Comment

Thanks guys!

***IF*** there's a better bunch of people on the internet I haven't found that site...
                    there is SOOO much information one can find on this board - that you'll *never* find in the shop manual. Proof positive that there is NOTHING that beats EXPERIENCE - and you guys don't mind sharing that expertise!

THIS just adds to the great joy of owning/riding/experiencing an XS11

I only wish more websites were like THIS one - it would be an endless, enjoyable, learning experience.
                    Last edited by UncleSpot; 11-23-2004, 09:12 AM.

1980 XS1100SG

Comment

Working...
                    X