Cleaned my carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaned my carbs

well i finally got around to doing the carbs on the golf cart project.
    they were actually really clean on the inside considering they have been
    sitting uncovered for 15+ years in a garage (not outside!).
    Well i'll let the pictures speak for themselves, what a difference.
    It wasnt hard to clean them but who wants to redo them over and over!
    we'll see i guess. Anyways i am going on and on. So heres the pictures!
    They still need to be polished but they are COMPLETLY Degreased besides what the pcitures may look like.
    Before...

After... (ahhh CLEAN!)

boy do i love cleaning carbs!
    ------------------------------------
    Current Projects:
    -1982-1992 Yamaha Ezgo XJ1100 Maxim Project

so what do you all think? i need to find some polishing tips for me dremel (or black and decker thing to be correct ) Thanks
    Current Projects:

Comment

They look pretty good to me. :-) The carb bodies are difficult to shine. I have one for a paper weight at home that I spent a lot of time on, but I could never attain a high luster on it.
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

what polishes up well?

the carb bodies are a pretty rough cast aluminum. not as smooth as the engine covers and such. what on the carbs polish up well? I was thinking about painting them but i'm not sure about it so i'm not going to. does anybody have an XJ that they are running individual air filters (indy filters?) what jetting are you using? Jets are cheap arent they? Thanks in advance!
        Current Projects:

Comment

I thought the bowls cleaned up rather nicely, but the rest of the bodies are tough, lots of nooks and crannies!

Follow this link for the massive thread on rejetting the XJ carbs!
          Rejetting exercise for XJ Carbs!

You might want to jump ahead to the end of the thread and read backwards, to find the final results and recommendations!
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Hey TC thanks for the link! i didnt use any carbuerator cleaner at all. i used my own mix of Oops! Stain Remover and Stainless Steel Magic. Both obviosuly are safe for brass and aluminum and they both clean rubber parts really well so no more taking the rubber parts off for me!! All the passageways are throughly cleaned i blew Highly Compressed air (75+ PSI) and q-tip everything. Obviously being careful of the rubber parts that were left on. well i am rambling Thanks for the help! any tips on polishing and dgreasing the engine its pretty bad. mostly a crusty grease type thing. Thanks
            Current Projects:

Comment

Degreasing a engine?You can use GUNK spray on engine cleaner.Spray it on let it soak in and then hose it off.Some places you might need a old toothbrush or something like that to loosen the crud.The stuff works good I use it to clean my dirtbike for removing chain lube.Good luck
              Bill Harvell

Comment

Originally posted by xj11yamaha
                so what do you all think? i need to find some polishing tips for me dremel (or black and decker thing to be correct ) Thanks
                I polished mine up using my Dremel with rubbing compound, followed by Mother's polish. A royal PIA!! to be sure, but they did look nice when I was finished. Not a fast process, took me days!! I bought some nylon cup brushes off Ebay for this, dip them into the compound or polish, and then have a ball. After all the crud has been cleaned off, I buffed them with some felt bobs. If you follow this method, eye protection is a must. Stuff has a tendency to fly, especially if you get frustrated with the speed of your progress and crank the speed up. I also used the flex-shaft attachment, made things a lot easier then holding the actual Dremel. Got everything from Thomasaxel@aol.com , in case you want to order anything. Very good service from him. Do a search on ebay for what he has to sell or email him direct.
                Brian
                1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
                1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
                remembering the same thing!

Comment

Working...
                X