1st gear assembly woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st gear assembly woes

alright - XS #2 displayed symptoms of first gear skipping under heavy acceleration from the time i bought it. just last week i got to tearing into for a gear-swap.

got everything back together and noticed that the 1st & middle drive gears seemed kinda sloppy. so i dug out the manual and see a clip in the diagram that i don't remember removing/installing. a quick search of the area revealed no xtra clips. (clip in question is the #2 clip right to the lef of middle drive gear #9 in the clymer's manual on pg 130)

so am i losing my mind?

would it be possible for the tranny to operate without that clip and not explode?? if so, this might also explain my first gear problems.

before i go tearing it apart again does anyone recall if those gears are a bit loose? it just doesn't seem to me that there should be any side to side movement whatsoever.

i know for a fact this thing has been taken apart - at least as far as the clutch. i have been having troubles with the clutch being sticky - so while i had it apart i was going to replace the plates with some spares that i had lying around. i immediately notice the cluch plates look different. they are gold in color, much thinner, and there are 9 of them instead of 8....

are these clips pretty common? any chance i would be able to pick one up at the local parts shack?

Comment

Hey there Beech,

I don't know what you mean by feeling sloppy?? But to answer your question about that clip, if you'll notice, it's much larger than the other #2 clips, because it's not clipping to the shaft, but it clips outwards against the engine case to hold the countershaft bearing in place, they just show it in the diagram! Cause that bolt is on the OTHER side of the engine case, but they don't show the engine case either!!

You did remember the #11 collar for the 1st gear didn't you!?

They can slide a little sidways on the shaft! The middle drive gear is slotted on the inside, it's turned by the countershaft. First gear rides on that collar, so it can turn freely. The collar and gear is stopped by the large washer next the the circlip holding 4th in place. So, you shouldn't have to worry about tearing it apart!

T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

alright well that answers my question then. i assumed that clip was supposed to clip to the shaft. I also assumed since the numbers were the same that it was the same part as the others. and by sloppy, i was just referring to side to side movement.

yeah if i had forgotten #11 collar it would be obvious something wasn't right .

"The collar and gear is stopped by the large washer next the the circlip holding 4th in place" -- going that direction on the shaft everything is fine. it just seems to me that if gears #9/#10 were kept from moving out that first gear would engage better.

anyway - thanks for the info. i see now that everything is put together properly. guess i'm just being paranoid. GLAD I DON'T HAVE TO TEAR THAT SUCKER APART AGAIN!

THANKS!
        Last edited by beechfront; 11-22-2004, 09:43 PM.

Comment

well.... if something doesn't seem right it probably isn't

got everything back together.

now i hear a rattle when in neutral.

it worsens the farther left the motorcycle leans.

isn't very noticable at idle, but when revved up to about 3k it is noticeable.

shifts fine through all the gears.

guess i get to take it apart yet again. i'm gonna be getting good at this soon.

Comment

Keep us posted on what the problem was. It is good to share the pitfalls so that others can avoid the drama when they do the job...

Originally posted by beechfront
            well.... if something doesn't seem right it probably isn't
            (snip)
            guess i get to take it apart yet again. i'm gonna be getting good at this soon.
            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Working...
            X