wiring a Pacifico fairing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wiring a Pacifico fairing...

'just got a Pacifico fairing that (originally) came off another XS11.
    but:
    1) the pigtail has bare ends...
    2) the wiring inside the fairing is a real MESS...

and all this brings up OTHER questions:
    1) has anyone here completely rewired the fairing for better operation with an XS11?
    2) the horns must be moved (on a Special) - where have you mounted them?
    3) the stock turn signals and headlight 'bucket' has to be removed - I plan on just cutting the wires and splicing in 'quick disconnects' to go to the pigtail - 'gonna see if I can do this from under the tank, rather than taking it from the front of the steering head - I don't think it's a good idea to 'flex/bend' wiring every time you turn the forks... 'also plan on checking if it's possible to fold in the "headlight holding brackets" (instead of removing them)...
    4) I just want to wire what is needed: headlight, turnsignals, 2 side running lights - the electrical system *barely* delivers what the bike needs to run; I've noticed this on 2 other XS11s...

ANY other suggestions would be greatly appreciated - it's Tuesday and this is my project for this coming Sunday. So I have several days to draw up wiring diagrams, think about mounting possibilities, and getting enough wire/connectors/shrink tubing to accomplish this in one afternoon...
    Last edited by UncleSpot; 11-16-2004, 07:06 AM.

1980 XS1100SG

I have the original manual that came with the fairing (Pacifico) for my bike. Stop on by and borrow or copy it Ron. I'll be home probably all day or after 3pm every other day.
    As far as wires flexing, what about the wires going from the bike to the headlight/gauges/handlebars? They've been flexing for 25 years.
    Pat Kelly
    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
    1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
    1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
    1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

WOW! ...and only FOUR miles away!
      I thought this was gonna be a bit more trouble than this...
      I do NOT like to "re-invent the wheel", and if I can follow someone else's footsteps it makes for a better project IMO/IME.
      Thanks Pat - I'll call you shortly.
      XSive regards,
      Ron (UncleSpot)

1980 XS1100SG

Comment

Uncle Spot,
        I have a complete wire harness from a Pacifico that I parted-out.
        This is the harness and plug for the inside of the faring only, not the other end of the plug that wires into the bike itself.
        You can have it for the cost of the shipping. I am over the hill from you.
        I would advise against cutting the wires in the headlight bucket. If you have the proper wire harness, it plugs into the existing connectors, making it possible to quickly switch from "naked" to full faring, at seasonal changes.
        Mike

1980 SG "Angus"

Comment

Working...
        X