OIl Leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OIl Leak

The Gemhas sprung a leak. Coming from the front of the engine, I thought it was the camchain adjuster.
    I lost the rubber plug from the adjuster a yaer or 2 ago. I RTV'd another little button of rubber in it's place and it has been just fine.
    The leak appeared to be coming from this plug so I re-RTV'd it but the leak was still there, just not out the end where the plug is. Today I removed the adjuster and even tho the gasket looked ok I RTV'd that too.
    Oil leak still there.
    Now it appears to be coming from the cylinder base gasket ! I know it's in that area and I'm sure I've eliminated the adjuster. There's no oil above that spot and it only drips (maybe 10 drops) after I shut the bike off.
    The bike has only 24,000 miles on it so it's not in need of anything major, BUT..... if the jugs come off then I'm going for the big-bore kit. I have a spare set of jugs sitting in the shed so I can have all the machine work done before tear-down.
    If anyone can suggest another spot around that area that could be leaking please speak up. I hate having my bike doing a Harley impression .
    Pat Kelly
    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
    1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
    1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
    1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

I have a small leak at the rear of the base gasket, though it only leaks during sustained high speed cruising(85-90+) heat warpage, who knows? Re-torqueing your head/cylinder nuts may help... or may not.
    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

I have had the same leak at the rear of the base gasket for about 2 years. It has gotten so bad I am using up to 1qt of oil per tank of gas. It is getting fixed this winter. I will not be going the big bore route, but will install new rings and a timing chain. I have 70,000 miles on this machine.
      Highlander

Comment

This is going to sound stupid...but check the top oil line (where it goes into the head on the back of the engine). If it is loose/leaking...the oil will wick through the center cooling passages and appear to be leaking from the front of the engine, at the jug gasket...

The oil line is a banjo/bolt/copper washer arrangement and can loosen up...and the oil line itself is prone to cracking right where it joins the banjo fitting.

From experience....as in "been there done that"..
        CUAgain,
        Daniel Meyer
        Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
        Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

The first step is to exactly find the leak! Super clean the engine. Simple Green degreaser is GOOD stuff. Use something like baby powder to help find the leak. Run the engine to make it leak. If you determine that the leak is at one of the through-bolts, let me know and I'll tell you how I fixed mine without a major tear down.
          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

I'm with Daniel on this one. There is no pressurized oil at the head gasket surface. The only pressurized point on the head is the oil feed pipe. One other possible cause of weeping oil is the valve cover gasket.

HTH

Randy

Comment

I did clean the engine to decide where the leak was. I was hoping it was the hose Dragonrider mentioned. I had read his story on his problem. But mine is definately leaking at the back of the base gasket. I also tried retorqueing the head bolts, as they hold down the cylinders. I even overtightened them. No go.
              Highlander

Comment

I've seen lots of people chasing what they thought was a leak at the base gasket and every one of them was leaking from much higher up. After the cam chain slack adjuster, the most likely culprit is the cam cover gasket. If you remove the tank, you can have a real good look at the numerous places where a leak can develop, and the nice little channels that will carry that fine leak to the front or rear side of the head. Then there are more channels that will carry the leak to the rear of the cylinder block and down so it looks like it coming from the base gasket. The suggestion about cleaning then dusting the engine with baby powder will help you find where it is actually coming from and where it is going. BTDT (more than once)
                Ken Talbot

Comment

Re: OIl Leak

I hate having my bike doing a Harley impression .
                  OK, I can see that it is time to educate you guys about the mythical Harley oil leaks.

1) Unlike the XS, Harleys are dry sump engines. There is no oil stored in the crankcase to leak out.

2) On pre-1965 Harleys (and before environmental concerns), the primary chain was lubed by engine oil misted under pressure by a crankcase breather vent. The primary cover was intentionally not liquid tight, otherwise the the clutch would become oil soaked and slip (dry clutches on those models).

3) Up until the late '70's models (when belt drive was first offered), Harley had another wonderful device that no one else was using... a drive chain oiler. After running the engine for a while and then parking, the oil that was still in the line for the chain oiler would continue to drip out.

The aforementioned items are often mistaken as leaks by the uninformed. Any Harley that actually leaks oil is a victim of abuse from ignorant mechanics and/or owners, just like any other make.

Comment

According to the clymer manual, you should retorque your head bolts, and adjust the valves every 4000 miles, I have not done this, because I don't want to take a chance on adjusting the valves (never done it). I have noticed oil leaking a little. there is a little vibration, am putting it in the shop to have the valves adjusted. Later 'Dog

Comment

Working...
                    X