Alternative Front Master Cylinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative Front Master Cylinder

Just on a chance, I picked up a front MC from a '98-'02 Yamaha R1 off eBay for $50. The item came with a broken lever and both front calipers with lines.

The stock XS MC does not work well with the clip-on bars I am using, plus covers up the gas gauge.

The R1 MC is almost a bolt on replacement. It fits the XS 7/8" bars, the hydraulic brake line, bolt and boot went right on. It has a remote reservoir that requires a mount be fabricated. I chose to locate the reservoir over the top of the handle bar, attaching to the brake lever mount. This makes handle bar angles a non-issue. I had to make up a pair of wires with spade connectors on one end and barrel connectors on the other for the brake light switch. I ran them in black plastic tubing, so it looks stock.

The R1 brake lever has a 5 position sensitivity adjustment. The brake feel is much different than the stock MC. My front brakes are now a bit more sensitive then before, but not unmanageable, particularly with the adjustment settings. The brake lever now seems to have much more “brake feel” in it, which I like. So far, I have only ridden around the block. In the next couple of days I will give it a better test.

DZ
    Vyger, 'F'
    "The Special", 'SF'
    '08 FJR1300

This looks like something I should do, my master cylinder has taken too much abuse from the street and needs to be replaced.

Any idea if the R1 or R6 MC, which is set up for dual calipers, can be used on a single caliper bike?

Thanks

Comment

I suspect the R1/R6 MC would be to sensitive for a single caliper. You need something with a smaller piston. A XS650 MC might work better and should be fairly easy to find. An XJ1100 MC will also work. Any of the XS1100 that had the split brake system (like the XJ1100). Their MC only controls one of the two front calipers.

Any idea if the R1 or R6 MC, which is set up for dual calipers, can be used on a single caliper bike?
      DZ
      Vyger, 'F'
      "The Special", 'SF'
      '08 FJR1300

Comment

luck

i've been pricing brand new m/c as of late,HOLLY COW $300+ dollars for just about anything,r1,r6 cbr1rr etc. etc. Mine is shot and wanted to get a new one. guess not now after seeing prices.
        1982 XJ 1100
        going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
        now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

I posted a question about using a late Virago MC on the Special. There were no replies. Has anyone looked into or tried this?
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

I put a front master cylinder off a Honda V45 Magna on my bike{78E}.The things you might want to look out for are:sometimes the brake levers don`t line up with your handlebars and the brake light switch might be different not to mention the right hand mirror mount might not be useable.The way I see it if the bike you are getting the master cylinder off of has dual front disc brakes then it should work.Hope this helps.
            Bill Harvell

Comment

My Wife has a 96 Virago and the handlebars (ans subsequently the master cylinder mount) are angled more than the XS Specials.
              As long as the cap is on the resivour it should work.
              Pat Kelly
              <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
              1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
              2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
              1999 Suburban (The Ship)
              1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
              1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Working...
              X