mounting oil cooler adapter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mounting oil cooler adapter

I recently bought an oil cooler ... I got all the parts except whatever attaches the adapter plate to the bottom of the motor. My question is how does the adapter plate fasten to the motor? Any help or photos that show the part I need would be appreciated. Thanks.

Labrat

There is a big holow nut that holds the adapter plate to the crankcase, into which the filter housing bolt screws in.
    See part #17 in this drawing:
    [URL=http://www.yamaha-triples.org/library/parts-manuals/xs850g/oil_cooler.pdf]
    You may be missing the part, it should have come with the plate...
    Carpe Diem!
    1980 XS850G
    1973 CT70

Comment

Part #7 here:

Ken Talbot

Comment

here it is, i think

[IMG][/IMG]

heres were it goes
        [IMG][/IMG]
        Last edited by chevy45412001; 11-10-2004, 10:24 AM.
        1982 XJ 1100
        going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
        now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

So the oil filter bolt threads into the adapter bolt which threads into the engine case. Is that correct?

Anybody have suggestions as to where I could get one of these adapter bolts? The cooler is a Lockhart.

Thanks for the pictures, guys. I appreciate your help.

Comment

Try Here:

Lockhart Industries
            Box 1430
            Paramount, CA 90723
            213 - 774 - 2981
            Fax 213 - 531 - 0496
            Bubba1954
            (aka) Shannon Koehn
            Hutchinson, KS
            http://www.fototime.com/inv/0EE87CEC5C8C774

Comment

I have a oil cooler which I am sure is aftermarket. It says Kerker on the cooler. There is no bolt that holds the adapter plate to the case for me. It just sits on top of the oil filter holder and the single bolt holds the hole thing in place. I don't know if this mystery bolt is missing in my case or not, but mine does not leak and it seems to be working OK.
              Owned by a pair of XS11's. An 80 Standard and a 79 Special.

Comment

I saw an XS11 once that had one of its lines connected at the area near the oil pressure sender unit/oil line. I don't know if such a configuration is even useful.

Originally posted by thumperjsa
                I have a oil cooler which I am sure is aftermarket. It says Kerker on the cooler. There is no bolt that holds the adapter plate to the case for me. It just sits on top of the oil filter holder and the single bolt holds the hole thing in place. I don't know if this mystery bolt is missing in my case or not, but mine does not leak and it seems to be working OK.
                Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

I did not mean to confuse if I did. When I said top, this is still under the engine between the crankcase and the oil filter case.
                  Owned by a pair of XS11's. An 80 Standard and a 79 Special.

Comment

Skids

When I bought my bike, the oil cooler was hooked up like the one you described. The pipe behind the cylinders is the oil delivery line for the top end, and by bypassing it, you're just sending the oil to the cooler before it gets to the cams. I don't see any harm in doing it that way, except the fact there will be lines running over the top of the engine, and another source for a potential leak.

Comment

Re: Skids

Originally posted by John
                      When I bought my bike, the oil cooler was hooked up like the one you described. The pipe behind the cylinders is the oil delivery line for the top end, and by bypassing it, you're just sending the oil to the cooler before it gets to the cams. I don't see any harm in doing it that way, except the fact there will be lines running over the top of the engine, and another source for a potential leak.
                      Brian
                      1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
                      1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
                      remembering the same thing!

Comment

Working...
                      X