No announcement yet.

Flames!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you guys know if the crankshaft for an XS would work on an XJ? I've got one XS and one XJ...replaced crankshaft bearings this summer on the XS and forgot to tighten down all the way. (I got interrupted mid-stream) and when I got her put back together and started, she made quite a loud rattle! That same rattle is becoming more and more apparent on my XJ now. I found metal particles in the oil when I changed it and I'm sure that's the reason.

I may be in the market for a new crankshaft in the near future. I'll be home in Denver for Christmas, so I won't have to have it shipped to Hawaii, I'll just bring it back with me here in my luggage!

Let me know what you guys think!

'82 XJ1100J-John
    '78 XS1100E-Name Forthcoming (It's a Girl!)

Comment

Search For Crank

I would hold off trying to locate a crank until you have old one out and examine it. Dependent on how long/high speed you have run it the crank could be fine. The crank is a lot tougher than the bearings that support it. The cuttings you have found may all be bearing material.
      Once you get the crank out examine it for scores etc. on all jounals and mike it for taper and out of round. It may be in just as good of shape as any high mileage second hand crank that you pick up here/ebay.
      Of course, you will have to forgo Christmas shopping and hop to getting the beast apart before Christmas break.
      Lots of luck,
      Ken/Sooke

Comment

Working...
      X