Flames!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flames!!!

i jst adjusted valve shims...(i hve rght measurements).
    reset cams (acc. to clymers)
    i hve spark, i hve fuel. i hve wrkin cdi (finally)
    whn i go to start er up....nada. she cranks, and smetimes shoots flames outta the exhaust. kinda kool, but id like to ride w/o meltin passengers' shoes. any suggestions?

btw...if it mkes a dif
    k&n air filter
    137.5 mains
    dyna coils
    custom exhaust
    L. G.
    1979 XS1100SF
    Exodia, "The Forbidden One"
    1988 CBR600F Hurricane
    Tempest- died Aug. 10, 2005
    198x XS850
    -no name yet-

Lord G,

Check and see if you've got the 1/4 & 2/3 coil leads (Orange / Gray) or plug wires swapped.

Other than valve timing being WAY WAY out, that's the only thing I can think of that would cause firing with the exhaust valve(s) open!

BTW, whereabouts in Bklyn are you? We should hook up for a run one of these days, I'm in NYC most of the Spring / Summer.

Randy

Comment

Flame Thrower

LG, suggest that you do a compression test. It is possible from the work you just described that you have tipped the exhaust valves. Hope not, But!!!!
      Ken/Sooke
      78E Ratbyl
      82 FT500 "lilRat"
      92ZX11 Temptress

Comment

Hey LG,

Like Ken said, unless you didn't have a valve lifter compressor/ shim adjuster tool so that you would have had to remove your cams to replace the shims, I don't know why you would need to "Re-set" the cams?? Unless they had jumped a tooth due to the chain being too loose, you shouldn't have had to change the cams at all, just the cam chain tension!? SO...like Ken said, hope you didn't bend any valves? A compression test should tell!
        Good Luck.
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

crap-tastic!

tested compression oldfashioned way....finger in the hole. 1 and 2 barely felt pressure blow-by finger. didnt even bother w/ 3 and 4. ill chk em when i do tear-down.
          damn! like she truly is forbidden. i chose the perfect name.
          L. G.
          1979 XS1100SF
          1988 CBR600F Hurricane
          198x XS850
          -no name yet-

Comment

Forbidden One

Truly sorry to hear. At least now you will not spend many frustrating hours tracing through ignition/carburetion/petcock/black box possibilities. While the head is off you can freshen up/decoke./lap in the whole head. You will have a crisper engine when it is over. You will also know a whole lot more about engines and the internal workings of an XS.
            Good winter project. Take your time, do it right, keep everything clean as you go. Be particularly carefully about dirt/foreign objects around the cam main bearing caps/saddles.
            Hope you have a warm well lit place to spread your project out in/out/around in.
            Ken/Sooke
            78E Ratbyk
            82 FT500 "lilRat"
            92ZX11 Temptress

Comment

Re: Flames!!!

You didn't put a 4RO type black box on that unit, did you? I tried that once on a 78E and I really got some loud bangs out of the pipes!!!

Originally posted by Lord Grizzlon
              i jst adjusted valve shims...(i hve rght measurements).
              reset cams (acc. to clymers)
              i hve spark, i hve fuel. i hve wrkin cdi (finally)
              whn i go to start er up....nada. she cranks, and smetimes shoots flames outta the exhaust. kinda kool, but id like to ride w/o meltin passengers' shoes. any suggestions?

btw...if it mkes a dif
              k&n air filter
              137.5 mains
              dyna coils
              custom exhaust
              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Re: Re: Flames!!!

Sorry. I didn't understand the last post with the finger method. I guess this means you lost compression...

Originally posted by skids
                You didn't put a 4RO type black box on that unit, did you? I tried that once on a 78E and I really got some loud bangs out of the pipes!!!

Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

LG - even with the old-fashioned way of checking compression by sticking a finger in the hole, you still need to have the throttle pulled wide open to get a true reading. You did remember that part, didn't you?
                  Ken Talbot

Comment

Managed to the the heads off after 2 wks of tryin to remove the rusted bolts. exhaust valves were fine... all 4 intake valves were twisted. lucky me
                    L. G.
                    1979 XS1100SF
                    1988 CBR600F Hurricane
                    198x XS850
                    -no name yet-

Comment

I don't get it, L.G. How do you get exhaust flames with the intakes wide open?

I guess anything's possible, I learn something new every day!

Randy

Comment

LG I have several motors, some torn down, and some complete, that I should find new homes for.
                        If you need any components (whether it be valves or a complete head) let me know.
                        I am on the left coast, but it wouldn't cast all that much to ship.
                        Mike

1980 SG "Angus"

Comment

tht would be great! let me kno wht you want for 4 intake valves and 4 exhaust valves---4 tht future emergency
                          L. G.
                          1979 XS1100SF
                          1988 CBR600F Hurricane
                          198x XS850
                          -no name yet-

Comment

LG,
                            If I can get them from a good, disassembled motor, you can have them for the cost of the packaging and shipping.
                            If a motor needs to be disassembled, I can offer my son a few bucks to tear it down for you.
                            He enjoys the process, and could always use a little gas money.
                            Mike

1980 SG "Angus"

Comment

its a done deal
                              L. G.
                              1979 XS1100SF
                              1988 CBR600F Hurricane
                              198x XS850
                              -no name yet-

Comment